Updated OS X to Maverick and iWork...now have two versions of iWork??

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by NBCGLX, Oct 24, 2013.

1. NBCGLX macrumors newbie

I updated my Mac mini to Maverick yesterday and I was happy that my installed versions of iLife and iWork were recognized by the App Store as needing updates (I have the DVD version; i.e., not purchased through the App Store). I let software update do its thing and it installed the new versions of both suites. Problem is, it seems that it left the old versions of iWork on my computer, too. Is this normal??? If not, how do I get rid of the old version without losing install files necessary for the new version? Curiously, this doesn't seem to have happened with iLife and I can only find the new version there (though my Dock icons are still the old ones for some reason).

2. MadSkillzPhan macrumors newbie

that happend to me too. i use appcleaner to remove all my apps on my mac. it gets rid of all files associated with that particular software. you can remove the older ilife and iwork

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Same happened to me. I just deleted the iWork '09 folder in Applications.

4. NBCGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh, not something you'd expect of Apple! I used AppDelete to clean up the old programs. Thanks for your input.

5. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Can one safely delete ALL the files related to the previous versions? I know iWork 09 installed a bunch of stuff in the library/application support folder and elsewhere. Not sure about iLife but I'm guessing it did to.

Can they all be deleted or do the new versions need them?

6. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

I noticed it too, but it may be a good thing. I didn't notice until too late, but I was working on a newsletter with the old Pages and a template. That template is not in the new pages, and so I cannot add new pages to the Newsletter. The new templates suck too for the newsletters. Too bad. :(

Btw, if anyone knows how to get better templates into the new iWork, let us know!

7. NBCGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted them in mine and don't seem to have any issues. I have all my iWork docs in iCloud so not sure if deleting the files you speak of will harm locally-stored functionality or not.

8. verity macrumors member

I used TrashMe, removed all related files, emptied trash, restarted, before opening the new versions and letting them create any permissions files - everything works. I didn't expect Apple to mess with my previous generation iWork install. It's a good thing they left that choice up to me.

9. NBCGLX thread starter macrumors newbie

But a little confusing when, after the "update" finished, I clicked on the various icons in my dock and the old apps opened. It was only then that I realized that iWork '09 had been left intact. Just strange, that's all.

10. 2stepbay macrumors newbie

I did not delete the 09 Folder. And very glad I didn't. Not in the least impressed with the latest version - a major regression IMO. Know too...the moment you save any document in the new format, it will no longer work in 09. So be absolutely sure you are sold on the new version and its many deficiencies before taking the "save" plunge.

Apple ought to be more forthcoming with these types of substantial changes...especially when there is a significant dumbing down of a rather functional application suite.