Updated: Scrubs moves to ABC, Readies Announcement on Season 8

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Mar 2, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Veteran comedy "Scrubs" is caught in a tug-of-war between NBC and ABC.

ABC is in negotiations to pick up 18 episodes of the series from ABC Studios, which has produced the comedy for NBC since 2001.

NBC brass are said to have been caught off guard when THR.com broke the story Thursday.

A network insider said NBC is still in "first negotiation period" -- a period of exclusive negotiations -- with ABC Studios.

ABC Studios chose not to respond.

Given the history between NBC and ABC Studios, which have been at odds over the quirky medical comedy since the get-go, industry observers are preparing for an ugly battle between the two over a series considered to be on its final lap.

A broadcast series switching networks, though often discussed during contract renewals, is a rare event. Recent network jumpers include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the WB Network to UPN) and "JAG" (NBC to CBS).

The WGA strike cut short NBC's 18-episode final season order for the Zach Braff medical series to 12 episodes. Sources said the network has been reluctant to order additional episodes for the fall, citing the fact that it already has some remaining originals in the can. NBC reportedly floated various endgame scenarios to producers, including ordering one final episode or producing the remaining episodes direct to DVD.

Details of the ABC deal are still being hammered out and negotiations are currently underway to bring back the show's cast -- including Braff, Sarah Chalke, Donald Faison, John C. McGinley and Judy Reyes (who already has a talent deal with ABC Studios).

After struggling in recent years to launch a hit comedy, ABC scored this season with freshman "Samantha Who?" The "Scrubs" pickup will give ABC another half-hour title with a built-in audience. It also makes financial sense for parent company Disney because ABC Studios produces the show.

ABC president of entertainment Steve McPherson has a history with "Scrubs," having developed the comedy during his tenure overseeing the studio when it was known as Touchstone Television. McPherson also has been vocal about his intent to pick up the show should NBC drop it.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i492e5ae858955bfeb599f446da50b913

2. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't really care which network Scrubs, or any other show, is on. As long as the show airs somewhere, it's OK.

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

NBC only has 5 episodes left to air, they might either scrap the rest of the season or do a direct to dvd. ABC studios owns the show and if NBC decides not to finish the series ABC would pick up the show and give it a true final season.

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i can only pray.
    i don't know why...but its my favorite tv series of all time (along with house)
    :D

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'd like to see the end of the series, even though just about anybody can predict what's going to happen in the finale.

7. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

8. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

man, it's been awhile since i last posted....

but i'm glad it's about SCRUBS:D i love that show, as long as it's shown, i'm happy, if it goes to dvd, i'm paying.

currently working on owning all the seasons:D

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Amen. My favorite show.

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Scrubs is my second favorite show, after Firefly. I own five of the six seasons that are out on DVD. I even bought the season pass on iTunes for season six when the broadcast time was inconvenient for me.

11. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Is it just me or did Scrubs really falter after the fourth season? I haven't been following it lately but from what I've seen from the sixth seasons, etc., the show has lost its look and feel and just really isn't funny anymore...

12. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I loved it until Season 6. Then it became way too much baby stuff for my taste.

13. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

1-3 were very solid seasons and probably the best. Season 4 began to lose the hilarity and irony, and Season 5 was very hit or miss (either really good or really bad.) Seasons 6-7 have too much baby stuff and has resorted to old time devices such as five hour long flashbacks and other characters poking fun at JD's narration.

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Rereading this, I actually do remember hearing about this, very vaguely...

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Scrubs: ABC Readies Announcement on Season 8

April 28, 2008 - Next week will see the final episode of Scrubs air on NBC… and yet at this moment, new episodes of the series are being produced. Scrubs is produced by ABC Studios, and it has been assumed for weeks now that ABC will be airing an 8th season of the series. However, there has still been no confirmation from either the network or anyone involved in the show, even as production has resumed following the writers' strike that shortened the seventh season, which was originally intended to be the last.

This past week I spoke to Scrubs star Sarah Chalke on the set of How I Met Your Mother, where she was filming her second guest appearance. I asked her if she could clarify the current situation with Scrubs: Season 8, noting it was a bit confusing, and she replied, "I can't! And it is [confusing]!" She added, "We're just going to work and filming them and keeping our fingers crossed."

Chalke told me Scrubs was, "The best job I ever had. It's very strange, because everyone's sort of just trying to enjoy every last second that we get to do it. We didn't know if [season] seven would be our last, and now we're just so lucky that we're getting to come back and shoot some more and, post-strike, for the writers and [Scrubs creator] Bill Lawrence to get to finish the show the way he wants to."

Meanwhile, the Hollywood Reporter is noting that it's "the worst-kept secret in Hollywood" that Scrubs is moving to ABC and that, "The long-pending deal for ABC to pick up 18 episodes of Scrubs for next season is effectively, pretty much, essentially, done." However, they note that while the show has been back in production for weeks, "cast and crew have been encouraged to keep quiet."

Hollywood Reporter says ABC is planning to confirm their acquisition of Scrubs at their Upfront presentation in May. While it isn't unusual for networks to sit on announcements until the Upfronts, the Reporter says ABC also wants to allow Scrubs to end its NBC run before making this particular announcement. When word of Scrubs moving to ABC first leaked, NBC accused ABC of making the deal without NBC being offered their contractual right of first refusal to pick up the series for another season. Since then, ABC and NBC have mended fences, but ABC doesn't want to cause any new tension by making their announcement until after what is now the Season 7 finale, airing May 8th on NBC.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

NBC doesn't have that much, they could at least burn the last couple of shows off. Couldn't be that bad for them. Fox had the same problem with Drive and Firefly. The last 2 episodes of Drive went to MySpace and Firefly went to DVD, after which Scifi showed all of them. ABC had a bunch of Drew Carey episodes left and just burned them off during the Summer, also showed in syndication.

I work with network and industry people, and even though you probably already knew this, I can confirm that yes, most of them are idiots.

17. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Just read all this on Zack Braff's Blog:

18. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Wow. Thanks for that, iTeen.

I'm glad Bill Lawrence also sees my complaint about how the show has become a routine comedy with the same jokes recently. It sounds like Season 8 will go back to the style of the earlier seasons; the ones I enjoyed the most.

Oh, and NBC does sound pretty careless.

19. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

So who saw the first two episodes? I thought the last two seasons were kind of weak, but that these two new episodes were actually really good. Kind of reminded me of pre-Season 6 stuff. Maybe they actually will go out on a high note!

20. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Yea I thought the new episodes were really good, and the 2nd one was actually really deep. They better keep it up!
    Scrubs FTW!