updated to 10.5.7 and all my Mail accounts are gone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anthonymoody, May 13, 2009.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

WTF? :mad:

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? I had 5 IMAP accounts. All gone. I can reenter all the account info but it's a real PITA...

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Yeah, I heard about this in the big thread. I would just set them back up.. I don't know what causes it. Didn't happen to me.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

It happened to me as well.

I re-set them back up, and everything seemed to be fine. Until I decided to quit the Mail app to see if my accounts and setting would stay.... and everything was all gone again. The Mail app is acting as if it is brand new, and that no accounts are set up again. Why?

This is very annoying. :mad:

4. Surely Guest

Surely

An update: every time I quit Mail (after setting up my email accounts) and then reopen it, it acts as if it is brand new and has none of my account information.

I didn't do anything fancy when I updated to 10.5.7- I updated through Software Update.

5. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Oh dang that's no fun.. have you tried re-installing mail.app ?

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Dang indeed!

No, I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot tonight once I get home.
    Thanks for the help..... :)

7. Surely Guest

Surely

So here's the solution that worked for me:

I didn't end up getting a chance to try your method, jmccullough108, but thank you.

I got a PM from Loudwater, and he suggested that I delete the HTTPMail plug-in for Mail. He was having the same problem, and when he deleted it, Mail started working just fine. So, I deleted the folder (in User/Library/Mail/Bundles), and now Mail is working as it should. I can quit and my accounts and their settings are still there when I relaunch.

Props to Loudwater.:cool:

8. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Egads that's a horrible solution for anyone who still uses hotmail! :D

Thank goodness I don't...

Funny - since I re-set up my accounts I hadn't quit and re-opened Mail. So I deleted the bundle as directed and *whew* all seems well - accounts and messages all seem as they should.

Hey while I have your attention (;)) I would *swear* that I'd had yahoo set up via IMAP. I searched all over and found some older solutions claiming to be able to do this using the iphone-special imap server. But I can't for the life of me get it to work. It's set up as POP for now, and it's actually a tertiary email account for me, so not the end of the world. But still - am I imagining this or was there indeed a way to get it to work?

And thanks Loudwater!

9. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ I'm not sure, sorry. I don't use yahoo mail- I only use gmail.

10. ScouseMac macrumors newbie

Guys anyone got any further with this I am at a loss.

I updated to 10.5.7 yesterday and now Entourage has lost all my accounts IMAP and POP3. When I start Entourage its like its just been installed. I get the setup wizard.

I checked HOME/Library/Mail and all my account bundles are there.

I did a time machine backup before the update, but what files do I recover to get back to where I was?

Also, where is this HTTPplugin you mention. How do I delete it. Is this deletted in Mail.app or Entourage?

Sorry for al the questions but I am hosed and cant figure what to do.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah.. back when HTTPMail broke with the OS X 10.5.3 update (I think...?) I just gave up my Hotmail account.

HTTPMail is a 3rd party plugin that lets you access email accounts like Hotmail. You have to install it manually (downloaded from Daniel's website), so unless you installed it, there's nothing you need to uninstall.

12. ScouseMac macrumors newbie

Ah. OK. Thanks. I didnt install it so obviously its aint my problem.

Man I am at wits end. Is it possible to revert back or undo mac update 10.5.7 ?
    I have so many email accounts, I cant recall how to set them up again. I have religiously backed up using Time Machine. I presumed I could just restore files to get Entourage to work again but which files? The user data in HOME/Library/Mail/stuff has bee restored still no worky. I restored the previous com.apple.builtin.mailaccounts file but still no worky. What to do, what to do......

13. keferunk macrumors newbie

Power outage, reboot, then mail accounts gone

I just checked and verified that I'm running 10.5.7 as well. I didn't have a problem on the first reboot, apparently, but at this reboot I'm having the same symptoms. All the folders are there for all the accounts, but the mail program does not recognize them. HELP!

I am not using the HTTP plugin referenced above, as far as I know. I do have two Gmail iMap accounts. Otherwise, just a lot of POP accounts that had a lot of data in their inboxes. Is there a settings file somewhere that can be restored from Time Machine?