Updated to IOS 5 and now it says my SIM Card is not supported!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nizmoz, Oct 12, 2011.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Any idea how to fix this? I can't get my phone to work and it's required for me to have it for work as I am on call! :(

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

What kind of phone do you have? Iphone 4 or 3GS?
    Were it unlocked before you upgrade to OS5?
    Which carrier sim are you using in your phone now?

3. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

iPhone 4 32gb. Locked but was jail broken. AT&T sim.

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I had to get it replaced at the Apple Store. It was screwed up. So I am still on 4.XX something. Will wait this time till I know it won't have issues.

5. jonhcox macrumors regular

I got this message as well and mine was on 4.3.5 not locked or jailbroken. No idea. I simply connected the phone to iTunes just a little while ago and went through the paces to upgrade to iOS 5. When it was done I got the "The sim card in this phone does not appear to be supported" error message. So I am going to drop by the AT&T store when it opens and get a new micro sim and see if that works and if it doesn't then I'll have to make a genius bar appointment.

6. AndyB2007 macrumors newbie

Same here in the UK on O2.

the phone (my wifes - I'm now sleeping outside with the dog) was a replacement from the apple store, so I guess that should be unlocked. (no jailbreaks, sim card worked fine this last year & activated on 4.3)

Unfortunately my own sim card doesnt work to activate it either (o2 again) so Im guessing a genius bar appointment, and for some reason my local store has no appointments in a time i can get there, and seem very busy at the moment... dunno why.

7. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

Same with my wife's brand new phone.

Had issues with write errors killing her four month old iPhone 4 when I was trying to update it so tonight we went to the Apple Store where they exchanged it without any fuss. They put her old SIM in the new phone and we were on our way. The replacement was running iOS 4 and had no issues making phone calls and SMS messaging.

I plugged it in at home, went through the iOS update without any user setting restore and it came up with "not a valid SIM". Her SIM works fine in my iOS 5 iPhone 4. My SIM does not work in her new phone. Not happy about having to make another hour long one-way trip again tomorrow. :mad:

8. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

Update:

Removed the iOS 5 software bundle from ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates then restored, forcing iTunes to redownload the iOS 5 bundle again. It Just Worked® this time. Go figure. Time for manual rebuilding now.

9. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have this folder on my mac. I got to the itunes part but nothing called iphone software updates. :( Any ideas?

10. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

11. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

SOB! I did it again and redownloaded the firmware and again MY PHONE IS BROKEN. The 2nd phone now. UGGGGG......This is pissing me off. Is there a way to go back to 4.5?

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Apple is still signing 4.3.5 so you should be able to go back. Download the software to the desktop and then put the phone in DFU mode and option restore on a mac or shift restore on windows and select 4.3.5 version you have on the desktop.

13. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Welp, can't get the iphone to restore the old one. It keeps saying preparing iphone for restore and does nothing. UGg.

14. pirate-of macrumors newbie

I appreciate your help

guys, could anybody help me please, cuz i bought an unlocked iphone4 32gb running ios5 from ebay, & it's not working on my sim card >>> i'm from north africa.

----------

guys, could anybody help me, cuz i bought an unlocked iphone4 32gb running ios5 from ebay, & it's not working on my sim card >>> i'm from north africa. what can i do ??

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

What modem firmware does the iPhone have? Is it Jailbroken?