Updated to Snow Leopard last week, constant spinning ball and freeze ups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HenryHill, Feb 1, 2011.

1. HenryHill macrumors newbie

I can't figure out whats goin on with my late 2006 macbook. NEVER had a freeze up or the spinning ball on Leopard. Upgraded to 10.6.6. I usually get the spinning ball with firefox open ( usually multiple tabs ) or with firefox playing a video or something. Causes all my programs to freeze ( giving me the spinning ball ) and force quiting all applications doesn't help. After force quiting everything I still have to restart. I never had a single problem with Leopard. I've probably had to restart my computer 10 times since upgrading. Also I've verified/repaired the drive/permissions and zapped PRAM. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.13f3

2. Damo01 macrumors regular

I did that when I upgraded to Snow Leopard at first and the performance of the system wasn't all that good, such as beach balls, not responding, slows downs...
    but then I realise it better off wiping out your Hard Drive and do a fresh clean installation. If you have important files or data that need to be backup that I suggest you do do a backup first before do any attempts to reinstall or upgrade.

3. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

Do you have any Windows partitions on your mac or other external hard drives formatted in NTFS??

I had the same problem when upgrading from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 and the problem was due to the Windows partition. I solved the problem by making Spotlight stop indexing the partition.

System Preference -> Spotlight -> Privacy tab -> click the + button to add the partitions and drives that are formatted with NTFS

Hope this helps

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

maybe there is a bug in firefox? have you checked to see if its fully updated, or if there are any known issues with 10.6.6 + FF?

5. HenryHill thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about doing a fresh install, if I do a clean install and do a restore from time machine, how would this be any different than how my system is now? Wont the time machine basically bring back evrything to the exact point as the back up ?

I have parrallels on my osx. When I go to User--> Documents --> parralels it shows the windows 7.pvm file but wont let me click it?

I have the most updated version of firefox

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah, thats not the same as an actual windows partition (i.e. with bootcamp) - parallels should be fine

ok well thats very intersting then.

7. Damo01 macrumors regular

There is actually is a difference. You don't need to fully restore everything other than what is excluded from the backup because you don't get problems on a fresh clean installation. Using Migration Assistant to transfer whatever backup onto a clean installed system.

you need to make more than one backups.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have only done a wipe and install on my daughter's machine after she hacked the admin account to override parental controls and had things mixed up so badly I lost track. On my machine, I no longer run firefox. The beach ball comes and goes but is around a lot less often than when I was running firefox. I stopped using firefox after I spent hours filling out an online form for my son's financial aid only to have the browser crash and had to start over. ALL MY WORK WAS LOST. I'm not at all happy with Safari as it is an even bigger hog than firefox so I use chrome. One thing I've heard is you can shut off firefox sync to get better performance, but sync is the main feature I look for in a browser. I need to be able to pick up my work across machines and across operating systems.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

10. HenryHill thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't get what you are saying. If i do a clean install everything one my drive will be wiped. Wont I Just choose the ' restore from time machine' preference that is displayed when i put my CD in ?

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

because they are 2 different things.

"restore from time machine" will preserve your user library files and a number of other system files - this may not fix your actual problem if some of those files are damaged/corrupt/incorrect.

where as, if you completely erase, it will ensure that those problems are alleviated.