Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Delivered to my hotel on Aug 6th. Checked in today and got it.

Turn it on,.... my worst nightmare: Yellow tint!

Too bad, mine's not stock, otherwise, I can go to apple store and exchange. I have upgraded 200GB.

Purhcased it on mid june,... return coz of logicboard. Now this one has yellow screen!

Man,.... spend almost 3000 and have not really enjoying using my MBP,....and I'm first time switcher. If i bring this in to apple genius, will they say replace or repair?

Does anyone know if I go into a store and ask for the stock and refund on the additional upgrade charge back? Bought from apple.com.

Literally spend over 50 hours on phone and apple genius bar on this case!

I'm seriously considering changing back to windows,... thought I really love Mac's software.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I got MacBook Pro replacement #5 (don't even get me started) and it too has a yellowish screen.

Right before I saw this post though, I was going to post about the condition. Mine seems to have subsided over the week or so that i've had it. Before it was obnoxious, and now it's just kind of irritating if I'm looking for it.

I don't know if I'm just getting used to it or if perhaps the condition improves with usage. Anyone with more yellow LED experience care to chime in? Otherwise, the machine is great (knock on wood, cross fingers, etc.).

-Drew

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I got MacBook Pro replacement #5 (don't even get me started) and it too has a yellowish screen.

Right before I saw this post though, I was going to post about the condition. Mine seems to have subsided over the week or so that i've had it. Before it was obnoxious, and now it's just kind of irritating if I'm looking for it.

I don't know if I'm just getting used to it or if perhaps the condition improves with usage. Anyone with more yellow LED experience care to chime in? Otherwise, the machine is great (knock on wood, cross fingers, etc.).

-Drew

Which build week is yours? I'm worried that I might be so unlucky to get 5 defective machine in a row... Knock on wood, cross fingers...!!!!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
the default "Color LCD" profile is a very brown-ish tint, try switching your color scheme in system prefs -> displays -> color to .. Adobe RGB or something.

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
Why no official comment by Apple on this issue? It's obviously a serious problem. I had planned to order a 15" MBP on the 26th, but I'm scared to death to now. I won't have weeks to resolve a yellow tint issue if that ended up being the case. Seems to me that since this is such an ongoing issue that they would test these machines before they left the door until it's resolved.
Maybe I'll just stick with my Dell. 0 problems over the 3 years I've had it. Windows gives me all the problems!!

Oh well!!

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
the default "Color LCD" profile is a very brown-ish tint, try switching your color scheme in system prefs -> displays -> color to .. Adobe RGB or something.
This is mine out of the box...after super cal it was better BUT had the bottom yellow tint had it replaced and was lucky enought to get a LG
1059907015_0b6d23bfef_o.jpg

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
Found this on another forum in reference to the yellow screen issue. Guess it's worth a shot.

sacha.rod

Re: MBP LED display - yellowish?
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 4:59 AM in response to: Ralph Eisenberg Reply Email

I had the same problem,

You need to change the color profile to this one:

http://idisk.mac.com/sacha.rod/Public/Color LCD Calibrated by Sacha Rod.icc

Let me know if it's ok after using the new color profile.

MBP 2.2 15'' Glossy Mac OS X (10.4.9) 160 HD

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Yes but if you look close mine was still yellow on the bottom even if it was light, that does not go away with a new profile..... the way i checked was to open a web page and moved it down the page look at the address bar:(

Vorst

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
By the way you can copy this profile into:

Macinthosh HD/Users/your name/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

or (if you want to use for all users of your Mac)

Macinthosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

To select your profile:
Go to "System Preferences" and select "displays", then "colors" etc...

Vorst

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
It often happens when you look to long on at the wrong color balance, you have the impression the colors are wrong. Give it about 5 minutes working with the same profile, before making a judgement.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
It often happens when you look to long on at the wrong color balance, you have the impression the colors are wrong. Give it about 5 minutes working with the same profile, before making a judgement.

I decided to try it again...it may be better then what I had before...I'm going to give it more time, but it now does look hopeful.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
I do not see this as a defect, since it's completely fixable. Some suggest changing to another color profile, but I think they all suck. I say make a new one. Calibrate it yourself, check the box for extra options, and it'll look great. The screen is just overly yellow tinted due to the color profile which is not a defect since it's completely changeable. You could make it on the complete other side of the spectrum and make it look too blue if you wanted.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I do not see this as a defect, since it's completely fixable. Some suggest changing to another color profile, but I think they all suck. I say make a new one. Calibrate it yourself, check the box for extra options, and it'll look great. The screen is just overly yellow tinted due to the color profile which is not a defect since it's completely changeable. You could make it on the complete other side of the spectrum and make it look too blue if you wanted.

Mine had the yellow tint to hide the 1/3 yellow bottom....profiles didi not help the bottom :(

G. I.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
Yeah, calibration helps only if there's a uniform color cast across the screen like with the default 'Color LCD' profile. If only the bottom has yellow cast you're screwed, it's backlighting problem.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
My problem with me fixing the problem (I have a MB and not affected, but just throwing 2 cents in) is that I dont know if fixing the color profile is a long term solution. Even if you get it to look ok, I'm not sure the screens aren't going to be shotty down the road.

Meh, .02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.