Updates Are Now Treated as New Apps on The App Store!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by INNOVATTY, Nov 17, 2011.

1. INNOVATTY, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

INNOVATTY macrumors newbie

INNOVATTY

I've noticed today that updates are now showing up under the "Release Date" tab on the App Store.

See the picture below.

Do you guys think it is a glitch or a new feature from Apple?

[​IMG]

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

If i"m not mistaken I think it was in iOS 4 for me.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It shows the release of the latest version, as it always has.

4. INNOVATTY thread starter macrumors newbie

INNOVATTY

If you go to the App Store under any category and open the "Release Date" tab as shown in the picture below, you'll see a mixture of updates and new apps. In the past you could see only new apps. This will allow users to learn about updates and not just new apps.

[​IMG]

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

Interesting, if it's not a glitch. This was the way it used to work a year or two back actually, and it's good for devs.. kind of. When you release an update tons of people see it in there and you get a good sales spike, which rewards you for the hard work that went into that update.

Problem was, some devs were abusing it. New updates for all their apps, once a fortnight, often with 'fixed a typo' or some other excuse to get their apps on that front page. Honest devs were releasing a major new app they'd spent months on, and seeing it buried under a pile of shovelware updates. I think that's why apple changed things, to remove that incentive.

So, if they've changed it back.. what happens with the shovelware? Have they clamped down on meaningless updates?

6. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

8. INNOVATTY thread starter macrumors newbie

INNOVATTY

Good point! I have 13 updates waiting for me :)

Believe it or not, I just updated last weekend. I have many apps on my iPhone. I guess it's time for another update.

I think with this new feature from Apple, I will have to update more often since developers will be updating more frequently.