Updating an iPad 2 still on iOS 4 all the way to iOS 9

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gwhizkids, Sep 28, 2015.

1. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

Jun 21, 2013
    Have a work colleague who has an iPad 2 that is still on iOS 4. OTA updating is not available. When we connect to iTunes, I'm hoping it will show that an update to iOS 9 is possible. Does anyone know for sure? Even if it is available, is it advisable to make that big a leap?

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2008
    Penarth, Wales, UK
    no reason why it shouldnt update.

i just recently read an article on updating the ipad2 to ios 9 from a much previous version. it highly recommended it :)
  3. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Albany, NY
    It's a tough call, I can tell you that iOS 8 on an iPad 3 was sluggish, but without the update you are loosing out on many apps that need newer versions of iOS to operate. Honestly if the coworker isn't complaining I would leave well enough alone.
  4. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

Jun 21, 2013
    That's the problem: the iPad 2 is laggy already (mainly due to out of date apps, I think). All things being equal, I think the upgrade should improve this particular device.
  5. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2015
    I feel the upgrade to iSO9 helped the performance of my iPad2.
  6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    That is an interesting scenario! Updating from an OS that is almost 5 years old to the most current speaks volumes of Apple's support for iOS versions.

I would say the app support alone is reason enough to update.
  7. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2012
  8. gwhizkids thread starter macrumors 68020

Jun 21, 2013
    Gave it a try. iTunes won't recognize the device, so I think there's more going on besides the old OS. Advised colleague to make a a Genius appointment.