Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allisondbl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
That's the question.

I have an iPhone 5 running 6.1.4 and I'm thinking of updating it finally, but that's one hell of a big step to the current iOS 8.1.3.

Should one/can one do it in steps or should/can it be done all at once?

Thanks for any and all input.

(In case it matters I HAVE tried researching this for several hours and surprisingly can't find ANY commentary on it ...)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You'll be downloading the complete version on iTunes, there are no intermediate steps, update it to iOS8 and you'll be on the latest version.

allisondbl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
You'll be downloading the complete version on iTunes, there are no intermediate steps, update it to iOS8 and you'll be on the latest version.

Thanks maflynn but that kind of sidesteps my query. I KNOW that Apple will only "sign" the latest iOS and that if I download OTA or via my up-to-date iTunes I'll get the latest and "greatest," but that's a BIIIGGG ole step so I wonder if such a big update is likely to be difficult or jammy or something and thus if anyone truly knowledgeable about the iOS recommends a step upgrade or just go for broke. I DID just do backups on my phone and on iTunes ...

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Not sure exactly what you mean by "steps". The only version that can be installed is 8.1.3. I think the best thing would be to perform a full restore to 8.1.3 and then restore your backup.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks maflynn but that kind of sidesteps my query. I KNOW that Apple will only "sign" the latest iOS and that if I download OTA or via my up-to-date iTunes I'll get the latest and "greatest," but that's a BIIIGGG ole step so I wonder if such a big update is likely to be difficult or jammy or something and thus if anyone truly knowledgeable about the iOS recommends a step upgrade or just go for broke. I DID just do backups on my phone and on iTunes ...

You can't update to iOS 7 then iOS 8 if that's what you mean. Apple only 'let' you install the latest version.

Bear in mind that iOS 8 doesn't run as smoothly on an iPhone 5, and battery life is of a concern. But I tolerate those because of the functionality iOS 8 offers.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
You can't update to iOS 7 then iOS 8 if that's what you mean. Apple only 'let' you install the latest version.

Bear in mind that iOS 8 doesn't run as smoothly on an iPhone 5, and battery life is of a concern. But I tolerate those because of the functionality iOS 8 offers.

I could not notice a difference on my old iPhone 5

allisondbl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

I know that Apple itself will ONLY let you go straight to the latest version which is a VERY strong indicator that one can update full bore at once. But there are plenty of sites that provide the lower versions and one can update, then update, then update and the question I'm asking is if anyone has updated a very old OS on an iPhone and found that updating in steps works better than going from 6 to 8 in one go.

And thank you: I know about the lack of smooth and battery life. Those are some of the reasons I've held off so far. But increasingly I cannot use or update apps without at least going to 7 even if I don't like how 8 looks ...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I know that Apple itself will ONLY let you go straight to the latest version which is a VERY strong indicator that one can update full bore at once. But there are plenty of sites that provide the lower versions and one can update, then update, then update and the question I'm asking is if anyone has updated a very old OS on an iPhone and found that updating in steps works better than going from 6 to 8 in one go.

And thank you: I know about the lack of smooth and battery life. Those are some of the reasons I've held off so far. But increasingly I cannot use or update apps without at least going to 7 even if I don't like how 8 looks ...

No, everyone else is right. Yes, you can download the older versions of iOS, but they will not install. You can only install firmware still being signed by Apple, which as of now is only 8.1.3. You can download iOS 7 from a website, but try to install and it will fail. I guarantee it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

No you can't just install any version, only iOS 8.1.3 is being signed by Apple. If an OS isn't being signed and you try to install it iTunes will just say that your device is "not eligible for the requested build".

It's impossible to put anything below 8.1.3 at the moment.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

No steps are possible, so it's updating to the latest or not updating at all. No other in-between options. Basically for the signing reasons that various others have covered a few times in their replies.

allisondbl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Wonderful all you guys: THANK YOU! I may not LIKE the answer, but I do feel I HAVE the answer. So I just need to decide to hold out or update and dat be dat. Again: thank you!

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
iOS on a iPhone 5 isn't bad at all. Perhaps a little bit of performance lost but lots of new features . . .

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Wonderful all you guys: THANK YOU! I may not LIKE the answer, but I do feel I HAVE the answer. So I just need to decide to hold out or update and dat be dat. Again: thank you!

iOS 8 on the iPhone 5 is very good. It's not perfect, but it's no worse than on an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.

Personally I'd upgrade for Control Centre alone.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
OP, I beg you not to upgrade to iOS 8. Please continue to run iOS 6. It will run so much better and more fluid. iOS 6 and iPhone 5 was one of the best combinations apple had to offer. Your battery life will take a MAJOR hit on iOS 8. You will also have lots of lag and stutters, and app crashes.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
OP, I beg you not to upgrade to iOS 8. Please continue to run iOS 6. It will run so much better and more fluid. iOS 6 and iPhone 5 was one of the best combinations apple had to offer. Your battery life will take a MAJOR hit on iOS 8. You will also have lots of lag and stutters, and app crashes.
While iOS 6 is smoother/faster on an iPhone 5 and battery life can be slightly longer (at least for some), for many iOS 8 is nothing drastic as far as what it's like on an iPhone 5. For some, as is the case with many updates, iOS 8 can have issues, some bigger and some smaller, but overall it's still fairly good for most (even if it might not be as great as iOS 6).

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I've been looking at your post history. This comment is literally the only thing you post. Doesn't matter what the original topic was - just thread after thread of you posting how everything after the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 was terrible and how you'll never ever upgrade and how everyone who upgrades is a sucker, and so on. It's weird, and I wish you would stop.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I've been looking at your post history. This comment is literally the only thing you post. Doesn't matter what the original topic was - just thread after thread of you posting how everything after the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 was terrible and how you'll never ever upgrade and how everyone who upgrades is a sucker, and so on. It's weird, and I wish you would stop.

Thank you for noticing. I'm glad my point is getting through. Not everything after the 5 and iOS 6 is bad. The iPhone 5S was the LAST good Apple iphone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank you for noticing. I'm glad my point is getting through. Not everything after the 5 and iOS 6 is bad. The iPhone 5S was the LAST good Apple iphone.
iPhone 6 and 6+ are more than fine for many many people.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
iPhone 6 and 6+ are more than fine for many many people.

They weren't for me. They both were horrible, especially the 6 plus, OMG, worst Apple product ever.

So I decided I will just contribute towards older Apple software/hardware.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They weren't for me. They both were horrible, especially the 6 plus, OMG, worst Apple product ever.

So I decided I will just contribute towards older Apple software/hardware.
Those being the keywords in all of that.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009

I love my iPhone 6 on 8.1.3 and I've had every iPhone (except the 4S) and used every version of iOS.

I will say I wouldn't mind having a backup phone running iOS 6 but for my primary device I would definitely be on the latest.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
iOS 8 is terrible on my iPhone 5, and I wish I had never upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 8. OP, if you haven't upgraded yet, stay on 6.1.4! The stability dramatically drops after upgrading to iOS 8 on older devices, and apps that are up to date are constantly crashing. Doing a restore as new doesn't do any good either.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 8 is terrible on my iPhone 5, and I wish I had never upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 8. OP, if you haven't upgraded yet, stay on 6.1.4! The stability dramatically drops after upgrading to iOS 8 on older devices, and apps that are up to date are constantly crashing. Doing a restore as new doesn't do any good either.
Nothing like that has happened to a few iPhone 5 phones I deal with on a daily basis.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

I actually own an iPhone 5 and I do not experience all these lags and stutters and app crashes.

Stutters occasionally, if not rarely, but isn't it worth it for all these new features? To me it is. It's subjective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.