Updating an iPhone which is jailbroke

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LauraMDrake, Jan 15, 2012.

1. LauraMDrake macrumors newbie

Hi, is it possible to update an iPhone which is jailbroke. I have an iPhone 3GS which I took to get it unlocked to all networks when I bought it and when I got it back it was also jailbroke. Due to the endless list of new software updates available my phone is now really slow! I was just wondering if there is anyway I can apply the latest software update to my iPhone without it crashing on me? Any suggestions welcome!!

Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sell the 3GS and get a 4S while it's still worth something.

3. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

You can jailbreak the latest iOS 5.0.1 software, but I doubt it can be unlocked.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am having trouble understanding what you mean by this, but I don't think iOS 5 is going to innately speed things up for you. If anything, it's going to slow things down.

5. astral125 macrumors 6502

If I am understanding what you want to do correctly, I would not do it. Judging by your level of understanding of the software, I would say you could easily lose the baseband you are using on your unlocked phone if you attempt to upgrade the software. There is also a good chance that you would see no speed improvement if it does not slow down even.

I don't mean to offend, and I could be completely wrong. I just don't want you to lose your unlock by messing with an upgrade.