Updating? Can I take what I want and refuse the rest or does all come together?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shadez, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Shadez macrumors newbie

Hi all

Still a relatively new mac user here and I have a few updates available like safari 5 an etc. However because of the graphic driver issues of OSX 10.6.4 I would like to know if just downloading certain things ie safari 5 would have a negative or adverse affects as they are designed to go with 10.6.4 and not 10.6.3.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Click details on the updates screen and then you can select what you want to update.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You can always uncheck updated you don't want. In that case they won't download this time, but the next time they will be selected again.

You can also deactivate updates you are sure you won't need (for example, in my case, Garageband instruments, which weigh over 1 GB and are useless to me). There is the option of enabeling them again (see screenshots, which are french, but you get the idea).

Screenshot 1: "Your software is up to date. No update available, except the ones you ignored. Try again later."
    Capture d’écran 2010-07-13 à 15.55.25.png

Screenshot 2: The greyed-out option, which reads: "Reenable ignored updates" Capture d’écran 2010-07-13 à 15.55.36.png

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Apple would anger thousands of users if they released a new Safari version specifically for only the latest update. It's more likely that you would have problems with 5.0 because developers of plugins, etc. have not caught up.