Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex87f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
Brussels, Belgium
Hi everybody!

I have a question regarding a potential upgrade..

I've had my mid-2010 13" MBP for five years now, and use it everyday. The only upgrade it has is a 128GB SSD. I play video games half-regularly, and would like to have a bump in performance, but don't see myself spending more than 2k on a new retina.

I was looking into buying second-hand and realized one can find a late-2011 or mid-2012 15" Macbook pro (with i7 quad-core, 8/16GB RAM and 512/1024MB dedicated graphics) for $800-1100 depending upon the exact config, which means I could do the upgrade for little money.

My question is: will the performance bump be enough to justify doing the upgrade? I don't play very demanding games (Skyrim, League of Legends, Fallout 3, Heroes of the Storm, etc.) but would like to have comfortable performance with half-recent games, as well as a bump in everyday speed. Will I see a big difference?
Also, how does a late '11 or mid '12 MBP 15" with dedicated graphics compare to a new 13" retina?

Thanks!
Alex

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Will I see a big difference?

I'd think so. You'll be upgrading from a dual core C2D, to a Quad i7. It's a pretty big upgrade.

Also, how does a late '11 or mid '12 MBP 15" with dedicated graphics compare to a new 13" retina?

The quad core processors in the 2011 and 2012 15 MBPs will outperform the dual core processors I the 13" rMBP.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi everybody!

I've had my mid-2010 13" MBP for five years now, and use it everyday. The only upgrade it has is a 128GB SSD. I play video games half-regularly, and would like to have a bump in performance, but don't see myself spending more than 2k on a new retina.

I was looking into buying second-hand and realized one can find a late-2011 or mid-2012 15" Macbook pro (with i7 quad-core, 8/16GB RAM and 512/1024MB dedicated graphics) for $800-1100 depending upon the exact config, which means I could do the upgrade for little money.

My question is: will the performance bump be enough to justify doing the upgrade? I don't play very demanding games (Skyrim, League of Legends, Fallout 3, Heroes of the Storm, etc.) but would like to have comfortable performance with half-recent games, as well as a bump in everyday speed. Will I see a big difference?

Thanks!
Alex
Don't bother with the 2011 models due to Radeongate.

The mid-2012 15" retinas also have GPU problems. Non-retina 2012 15" ones seem to be free of it.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everybody!

Thanks!
Alex

Firstly all the games you mentioned are fairly demanding.

Secondly if gaming is your main focus then buy a gaming PC, macs are just not optimised for gaming you can buy anyone you like but you just won't get great performance. You would be much better off with a razer blade or similar windows machine.

Thirdly gaming on any laptop is a compromise, why not just get an xbox one or PS4 and keep the mac for your daily internet and office stuff...

MushroomMan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2015
Thailand
If you can find a good deal on a 2012 non-retina then I would go for it.

As mentioned, I'd expect you to see a big jump in performance (not as much as a new one of course) and you would have USB 3.0, faster RAM and Ivy-bridge processor, ability to throw in a 2nd HDD etc. The 2011+ models can stream to Apple TV if that is of any benefit to you as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.