Updating From Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by redleg6, Oct 19, 2018.

1. redleg6 macrumors newbie

I have a 2016 MBP, i7, 16GB with touch bar currently running Sierra. Has anyone with a similar MBP updated to Mojave? I have avoided updating to High Sierra because of the reported problems with decrease in system speed/performance and random shut-downs associated with High Sierra. I'd like to give Mojave a try but Sierra is running pretty good for me right now and like they say..."if it ain't broke don't fix it".

2. Isamilis macrumors 6502a

I have done upgrade from El Capitan to Mojave. 2 rMBP 2014. I didn't directly upgrade. I backup to TM, fresh install Mojave and restore back users & applications file. In one of the laptop, experienced issue on laptop which seems not really sleep. Whole day sleep drop the battery from 100% to 30%. Finally I backup, delete users (with its home directory) and copy back from TM. So far, it's still stay at 100% from 10am to 3pm. Not bad. Also, don't forget to reset SMC and PRAM before and after upgrade.

3. x_man_, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

x_man_ macrumors member

x_man_

I have the same MBP model with the same configuration. I use it for video and audio editing, programming, web surfing, etc. Originally came with Sierra, upgraded it with High Sierra since the first beta and everything was smooth, except for a sleep issue incident, corrected with the next beta update. Now with Mojave the machine also works faultlessly. I have never had made a "clean install".

4. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

@x_man_, have you noticed/experienced any speed issues as some have reported?

5. ToddJ macrumors 6502

i have upgrade to Mohave from Sierra and kind of regret it. Whenever i used Photos it goes much slower and my Photos Screensaver no longer finds the photos anymore.

6. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I’d say if it isn’t broken, don’t upgrade yet.

I find Mojave more stable than HS. Noticeably so.

But my printer/scanner (Samsung) doesn’t work, and sleep is totally broken. So if you’re on Sierra and there’s no compelling reason to wait, I would wait. Having said that, I love the stability of Mojave, but after coming from HS it’s not like the bar was high :D

7. Winterfibre macrumors regular

8. x_man_ macrumors member

x_man_

Hi, stockscalper. Actually no. Not in Finder, Photos, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, Blackmagic Davinci Resolve nor any other application. The SSD is encrypted, as it was since Sierra. With High Sierra I did start using APFS encrypted as it is now in Mojave. Very happy with the results.

As I mentioned before, none of all these macOS upgrades and updates were a "fresh/clean install" ever, but directly the new one over the old.

9. redleg6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks X_man_, and all that replied. I think I'll stay on Sierra awhile longer. The machine is running really good so why screw around with it?

10. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Thanks x_man. This is the kind of real world info I was looking for.