Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raphael Ventorim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
I would like to know your opinion about updating iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 9.2.1
Until today i use ios7 because it's faster and it consumes less memory.

My iPhone 4S has only 8GB and i'm afraid don't have enough free space as before.
If i update i plan to restore the phone to factory defaults.
Do you know how much space will be free on my iPhone after this procedure?
Is iOS 9.2.1 friendly to iPhone 4S in general? Does ir compensates update?

Thanks to all!

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
I would like to know your opinion about updating iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 9.2.1
Until today i use ios7 because it's faster and it consumes less memory.

My iPhone 4S has only 8GB and i'm afraid don't have enough free space as before.
If i update i plan to restore the phone to factory defaults.
Do you know how much space will be free on my iPhone after this procedure?
Is iOS 9.2.1 friendly to iPhone 4S in general? Does ir compensates update?

Thanks to all!

Well going from 7.1.2 is quite a leap and am surprised you got this far without updating. iOS 9 may run slower or it could run faster probably depends on what you are doing. I'm not sure how it would perform on an iPhone 4s but I'm sure more apps would work better on 9.2.1 since 7 is obsolete

Reactions: Raphael Ventorim

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
In general, every new x.0 update slows the devices down!
Especially if you're going from iOS 7 to iOS 9 you will experience a significant slow down!

I wouldn't do it, even the newer versions are more secure. But you might as well think about buying a new iPhone with (almost) the same size? On 21st of March they will likely announce new models.
It's every people's own decision if they want to spend money on such a thing.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I would stay on 7.1.2 unless you need the new features... but with 8gb, i think it's just better all round to remain at 7.12

Raphael Ventorim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Wow! I am newbie here and have been very well received!
Shawzborne, there are a lot of apps which doesn't run on iOS 7 anymore and i am experiencing a dilemma.
In the other side, i still have an acceptably fast system.
The fact is that i like the 3.5 inches and i'm disappointed with Apple to have discontinued this screen size.
I will follow the CarlosQG suggestion and wait a little longer.
I'm afraid iOS 10 be released and I get stuck on iOS 7 forever. Is it possible?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, you can always download the last version for the individual device.
Not always, depends on if the developer allows for it as I recall, and it seems that at least sometimes various developers don't set that up and just offer the latest version.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It's up to you if you'd rather have some new features and support than the speed of iOS 7, but be advised, you will lose a bit of usable storage space.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's up to you if you'd rather have some new features and support than the speed of iOS 7, but be advised, you will lose a bit of usable storage space.

Not necessarily true. The OS may be slightly larger, but there are gains through App Thinning that devices with less storage will benefit from.

I'm afraid iOS 10 be released and I get stuck on iOS 7 forever. Is it possible?

Apple will continue signing iOS 9 if that is the last version for your device. Apple will always sign the latest available version of iOS that runs on your device.

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
Not necessarily true. The OS may be slightly larger, but there are gains through App Thinning that devices with less storage will benefit from.

Apple will continue signing iOS 9 if that is the last version for your device. Apple will always sign the latest available version of iOS that runs on your device.

Stay on iOS 7. My wife upgraded from a 4S to a 5C, so I use the 4S as an iPod. As it isn't a mission critical device I have used it as the first device that I install iOS betas onto. I have to say that iOS 9 runs like a dog on the 4S. Doesn't matter what version or point revision, they are all very slow.
All I use is the music app, and it takes a long time to load, there is significant lag when pressing play/pause etc.

I would suggest that the minimum hardware that should run iOS 9 is an iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.