Updating last gen 15" MBP to latest MBP, worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac000, Jun 6, 2007.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Last gen 2.16 2GB 120GB specs. How much of noticeable difference in speed/performance would i see if I bought the new base model?

2. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Almost none whatsoever. Save up for the next major release -- at least until after Leopard is out.

3. Winterfell macrumors regular

Yep, save up and wait until a few revisions are done to the new technologies, like the LED displays and video cards. You're safer that way. :D

4. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

Seriously what is wrong with your current amazing and fast MBP? Nothing, I have a Core Duo and it's perfectly and amazingly fast. These updates are not significant. The only benefit I see is the ability to have more RAM - if you need it. People get too crazy with the whole "I have to upgrade my computer every 6 months to an insignificantly faster version."

5. amoda macrumors 6502a

I probably will sell my mbp and buy one of the new ones. Part of it is for the performance increase and part of it, i won't lie, is the "latest and greatest" aspect. I, however, have a much older mbp than you. A 1.83Ghz CD so it's a bigger difference than yours. Yours is sooo similarly specked that any difference will be minimal.The only main difference is the graphic card, so if you're really into graphic intensive things then maybe it'll be worth it.

6. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

according to the geekbench scores a rev 2 topped out mbp is 10% slower than a new one