Updating to iOS7, but don't want to lose unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by throwawayacc222, Dec 5, 2013.

1. throwawayacc222 macrumors newbie

When I first bought my iPhone 5, it was supposed to be factory unlocked, however, it wasn't. I gave my phone to the seller and he 'unlocked' it a day later. There was no jailbreak or any Cydia apps whatsoever. I jailbroke the phone a week later.
    Recently, I wanted to update to iOS7, but didn't want to lose my unlock. So I check to see if my phone is factory unlocked via IMEI sites and one said 'unknown', whereas another stated 'locked'. Remember, there were no Cydia apps and I had jailbroken the phone myself after the initial unlock.
    So is it safe for me to update to iOS7 or will I lose my unlock?

2. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

Updating your iOS does not affect it, but are you sure its unlocked? It seems (by the information you are providing) that it's not.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no JB unlock or any other software hacks to unlock an iphone 5.
    And as long as there is no gevey sim adapter in there then most likely you got a permanent IMEI unlock.
    Don't trust all those imei check sites. Most of them are off.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

there are no software unlocks for the iphone 5. if you are able to use it as a phone right now with the current SIM card, there should be no problem when you update to iOS 7 using the same SIM card

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Check it on this one, it has never reported incorrect info (at least to me :) )

http://iphoneimei.info

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good site.
    But on another IMEI thread there was a few people that reported incorrect results on that site. That's the reason I tell people the foolproof way to tell is to just stick another carriers sim.