Updating to OS X Mavericks and saved Wifi passwords

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sayyab, Nov 1, 2013.

1. sayyab macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading to Mavericks (from mountain lion) and not sure whether all my saved wifi networks and their passwords will be there once the new op system is installed. If not, is there an app that will store all these networks and their passwords so I can just transfer them later on?

Thanks!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

if you just upgrade and don't do a clean install, your data remain unchanged.
    Your wifi networks and passwords will still be here after the upgrade.

However, since this "upgrade" is much more than an upgrade, but actually a new OS to install, you should anyway backup ALL your data to an external drive (Time Machine, or a clone, or ideally, both).

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you don't know some of your passwords you should find the 'Keychain' app right now and log into each password you need (using your Mac's master password) and it will tell you what the password is.

Whether or not they can be transferred over you should probably make sure you know what they are, just in case.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Your passwords will be there in the keychain after you update--but as others have suggested, be sure you have a complete back up--clone would be best--in case something goes wrong. I have all my passwords in 1Password which is also another way of making sure you have a backup for your passwords.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will still be there after the update. If you want to be safe you can copy the contents of the folder ~/Library/Keychains to another drive or just email those files to your Gmail or iCloud email account for safe keeping.

Just open Finder then hit shift-command-g and paste this in then enter to get to the folder.

Code:
    ~/Library/Keychains