Updating to Snow Leopard this Friday, Couple of Questions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Well, I'm on a white 2.4Ghz MacBook, and I'm currently running Leopard 10.5.7

and, i'm gonna upgrade to Snow Leopard first thing this friday.

i have a couple questions, since this will be my first OS upgrade (just got my first macbook less than a year ago)

1. I don't have any back-up to my files, no time-capsule, no external hard-drives. and my hard disk is only 20 Gb free of space (from a total of 120GB), and if I lose my files, i'll most probably kill myself first thing this saturday!:eek:
    So, should I be worried or should I trust the upgrade system, and all of my files are kept them same? i mean, i have a lot of files in just folders and not in actual apps like iphoto and itunes... and my itunes library is about 40gb and my iphoto library about 20gb.... so, what to do?!

2. are all the apps (apple and 3rd party) kept the same?? i have ilife 09 and iwork 09 (i installed each one of those from a friend that had a family pack of each, but he's out of the country). and i have so many 3rd party apps... are they gonna be deleted? are their settings gonna be changed?? I'm not willing to lose any of those!

Long Story short, what exactly Snow Leopard will do to my macbook's files once its installed... and is it better to just buy an external HD? (im on a tight budget but i think i can handle it) if so, which one do u guyz advice me to get, (but i prefer 1Tb and more)... and will it be good just to copy/paste everything or just do a time-machine back up??

2. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

i too would like to know the answers to these questions...

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I am not going to answer your questions about SL, but instead strongly suggest that you save up (including forgoing purchasing SL) until you are able to purchase some sort of back-up system. Your hard drive can fail or lose data for one of many reasons (including an upgrade gone bad). If this data is important (and you indicate that it is) do yourself a favor and invest in a back-up system.

Edit: ok will also answer your question - if the upgrade goes without a hitch (which it has for me for all versions versions of Mac OS X), all your files, settings, etc. will be exactly the same. Some programs may need to be reregistered, etc. Also some programs may not be compatible - search around as suggested by Sky Blue.

2nd Edit: if you have critical apps, and there is the possibility that a) they will not function or b) you need a paid upgrade [and you indicate you are on a tight budget], would suggest restraint in jumping into SL

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You are at risk for FAIL. Do youself a favor and get a backup disk. Timemachine is so easy to use even a caveman can do it. That is sound advice even if you weren't planing on upgrading to SL. If your data on your computer means anything to you... back it up.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Notes collision, Scotty... but so many people with computers who say their data is important to them... don't back it up. It's hard to believe.

6. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the insanely fast replies! ;)
    I really apreciate it!
    I'm gonna go with backing it up, while writing this thread i realized it'll be my best option, SL or no SL.
    so, Thanks a lot!

Now, what can I get as a good backup hard drive for a good price over 1TB??
    and do u guyz recommend time capsule? or is it too much of a price difference??

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

TCs are a router with a hard drive thrown in them. Just get an enclosure from OWC and throw a drive of your choice in there. Or get a preloaded one if you want, but I like being able to choose the exact drive I get.