Upgrade 15" MBP Apr 2010 - Where should the SSD go...HDD bay vs superdrive bay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gorbyno1, May 1, 2010.

1. gorbyno1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a 15" MBP with a 500GB7200rpm HDD and want to add a SSD for my OS & the applications and use the HDD for the files. I want to put the SSD in the superdrive location because it is

1. Simpler to put in and remove (if I have to send MBP for service)
    2. I do not have to deal with SMS (sudden motion sensor)

I have read many long threads about SSD's for MBP. However there have been no clear answers.

Could those with real experience (with Apr 2010 MBP) please list the pro's and con's of putting the SSD in the HDD bay versus the superdrive bay. (hibernation issues/ bootcamp bootup etc)

Cheers,
    Gorby

2. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7C144)

Me liky to know too

3. bugout macrumors 6502a

I have my SSD in the optibay only because the WD 1TB drive won't fit there. It fits fine in the normal HD spot. No issues with bootcamp etc..

4. jkester macrumors member

Same. Although the WD 1TB would technically "fit" there, just not very nicely.

5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

SSD should be in the Optibay since there are no vibration dampers for HDD in it. If you fit a hard disk into the caddy you probably will have noise issues.

6. gorbyno1 thread starter macrumors newbie

One Pro for SSD in superdrive

Thanks Gorilla power...

Pro's for SSD in superdrive bay
    1. No vibration dampener in superdrive bay, so HDD likely to have noise issues
    2. 1 TB WD HDD does not fit superdrive bay

Pro's for SSD in HDD bay

Cheers,
    Gorbyno1

7. golfhero macrumors member

I'm going to do the same thing. I'm planning on putting the SSD in the optibay and leaving my 500GB 7200RPM HDD in the default location.

I want to boot MacOS off the SSD in the optibay and have my Windows bootcamp partition on the HDD as well as an HFS data partition for Music, etc.

So will this work? Can I boot MacOS from SSD in optibay and boot Windows when needed from the HDD in its current bay?

Thanks in advance.

8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Yes, sure.

9. piwi macrumors regular

This is confusing. Some seem to have issues with hibernation and Optibay SSDs. Has any of you guys noticed that with your OptiSSDs setups?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only drawback to having the SSD in the optical bay is the lack of hibernation support; if you sleep it about 5% battery remaining it should last a day before it dies.

If you're using a 12.5mm drive, I think the optical bay solution is the only choice for your SSD.

Also the drive bay shock absorbers are good to have for your HDD even if it has the drop sensor.

11. cyclical macrumors regular

Is the issue just with hibernation (safe sleep), or sleep in general?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just hibernation. Note safe sleep is hibernation and regular sleep. Obviously that combination will not work either.

If you have the computer set to safe sleep, it will not hibernate. Won't have problems sleeping. For sake of efficiency I have it set to sleep only.

13. calvy macrumors 65816

I was all set to put my on order SSD drive in my HD bay and move the current HD to the optibay. But then I read this thread and now I'm not sure. I hate to screw with my sleep settings by booting off the SSD in the optibay. But I sure as hell don't want noise and vibrations either.

Guess i won't have to decide till the end of the week anyway, since I have to wait for my drive to ship.