Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britboy1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
So I received a new iphone 3gs running 3.0.1 (7A400)... it's a newer MC143C model. Baseband 04.26.08

I managed to jailbreak it using ultrasnow pretty easily, and have backed up shshs to Cydia - albeit 3.1.3 as that is all apple is signing now.

My question for the experts is "how do I upgrade my iphone to a later OS such a 3.1.2" so I can use apps like layer and snapture. I don't want to go to 3.1.3 for obvious reasons.

I would prefer to do this without losing my jailbreak but don’t mind re jailbreaking after from 3.1.2 as I think that’s possible....

Any help would surely be useful to me and others.... since I haven’t seen this particular topic covered here.

Will pwnge work for me if so what do i do for my unique situation??

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
So I received a new iphone 3gs running 3.0.1 (7A400)... it's a newer MC143C model. Baseband 04.26.08

I managed to jailbreak it using ultrasnow pretty easily, and have backed up shshs to Cydia - albeit 3.1.3 as that is all apple is signing now.

My question for the experts is "how do I upgrade my iphone to a later OS such a 3.1.2" so I can use apps like layer and snapture. I don't want to go to 3.1.3 for obvious reasons.

I would prefer to do this without losing my jailbreak but don’t mind re jailbreaking after from 3.1.2 as I think that’s possible....

Any help would surely be useful to me and others.... since I haven’t seen this particular topic covered here.

Will pwnge work for me if so what do i do for my unique situation??

i think you can use pwnage tool to create 3.1.2 jk firmware. when it asks you if you jk pick yes. and thats it

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
I am in exact same boat, I finally found a brand new Iphone (black) but it 's 32GB anyway, I turned it on and went to Setting and about, and my version is pretty much what the OP has as a screen shot up there.

I was thinkign of taking the Redsnow 0.8 route to jailbreak, is the Ultra snow a better way to do it?

any good tips on Jailbreaking it and I kind of want to preserve my 04.26.08 baseband, is it possible to keep the 04.26.08 while moving all the way up to 3.1.2? thanks

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
I am in exact same boat, I finally found a brand new Iphone (black) but it 's 32GB anyway, I turned it on and went to Setting and about, and my version is pretty much what the OP has as a screen shot up there.

I was thinkign of taking the Redsnow 0.8 route to jailbreak, is the Ultra snow a better way to do it?

any good tips on Jailbreaking it and I kind of want to preserve my 04.26.08 baseband, is it possible to keep the 04.26.08 while moving all the way up to 3.1.2? thanks

only pwnage tool can keep the baseband

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
I only have a PC, I don't have access to a Mac but I do have a custome 3.1.2 .ispw that is jailbroken (ready)

so if I jailbreak my current 3.0,1 on 04.26.08 b.b. with Redsn0w 0.8 and then just Restore Mode, then Shift> Restore to my 3.1.2 custom.ipsw (not activated/ locked)...what will I wake up to?

Lotta trouble or 3Gs jailbroken 3.1.2 running on 04.26.08 baseband? I'm no expert in this but some how the combination of 3.1.2 and 04.26.08 baseband don't seem right and it shoudl not even be attempted to jump from 3.0.1 J/B to custom 3.1.2 ???

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
I only have a PC, I don't have access to a Mac but I do have a custome 3.1.2 .ispw that is jailbroken (ready)

so if I jailbreak my current 3.0,1 on 04.26.08 b.b. with Redsn0w 0.8 and then just Restore Mode, then Shift> Restore to my 3.1.2 custom.ipsw (not activated/ locked)...what will I wake up to?

Lotta trouble or 3Gs jailbroken 3.1.2 running on 04.26.08 baseband? I'm no expert in this but some how the combination of 3.1.2 and 04.26.08 baseband don't seem right and it shoudl not even be attempted to jump from 3.0.1 J/B to custom 3.1.2 ???

you can't! only pwnage tool can keep the baseband. i dont think 3.1.2 on 04.26.08 is that bad like you said. use ustrasnow to unlock with 3.1.2 04.26.08 baseband

maybe apple juiced is right you can keep the baseband cause i have not tried

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Make sure the custom IPSW that you have its real and not an official 3.1.2 or anything else.
If its legit and it leaves your baseband untouched you should be ok going thru with what you have planned.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Ok so I think I am in good hands here, right? currently a virgin 3.0.1 on 04.26.08 baseband, I just want to jailbreak the 3.0.1 first.

the best method I could find is the elaborate ( long process) of Redsn0w 0.8 dating back like July 2009. it's seems like a long process, that involves two .ipsws 3.0 and 3.0.1 but seems like a reliable way to jailbreak the virgin 3.0.1 shall I go ahead and do that? and then simply SHIFT>restore to my custom 3.1.2 made by Pwnage 3.1.4 tool?

EDIT: Just read your post above now....Thanks Applejuiced. I think this should be good to go, I will report back on how it went soon, thanks again

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Sorry yeah I knew that ( The Recovery Mode) part I just failed to mention, my bad....But thanks for lookin out for me anyway, I really appreciate that. I just finished jailbreaking the virgin 3.0.1 ...and success!!!

currently on jailbroken 3.0.1 and 04.26.08 baseband... So far so good, now stage two

I will go from 3.0.1 to custom 3.1.2 .ipsw and try to preserve the (easy [Ultrasn0W] Unlock) 04.26.08 baseband

I will report back on this post in a few minutes...!

britboy1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the answers here and Bdubb you can go ahead and use redsnow as you described

My original post needs and edit ** I used Redsnow** not Ultrasnow as stated...

It worked fine and I have untethered JB with unlock courtesy of ultrasbnow.

I dont have a mac so what are my options for installing 3.1.2 ipsw on the iphone?... If I use itunes wont it try to 'sign' the install and reject it?

Anyone?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry yeah I knew that ( The Recovery Mode) part I just failed to mention, my bad....But thanks for lookin out for me anyway, I really appreciate that. I just finished jailbreaking the virgin 3.0.1 ...and success!!!

currently on jailbroken 3.0.1 and 04.26.08 baseband... So far so good, now stage two

I will go from 3.0.1 to custom 3.1.2 .ipsw and try to preserve the (easy [Ultrasn0W] Unlock) 04.26.08 baseband

I will report back on this post in a few minutes...!

Good luck bro.
Hope it goes well.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
My original post needs and edit ** I used Redsnow** not Ultrasnow as stated...

haha your "Ultrasn0w" 3.0.1 jailbreak totally threw me off, phew, Im glad you did use Redsn0W...

I have the Custom 3.1.2. ipsw but it is "not activated" meaning it's for Locked phones, I don't need to Unlock my phone at this stage...this may not be the custom 3.1.2 F.M. you are lookign for, you probably want to unlock your phone now?

if you want this.... I can upload it on a site and send it to you, if you want to wait about 5 minutes I am about to use it right now. If you want the Unlock custom 3.1.2 I can direct you to a reliable site via PM. but it's a two part file and you need to stich it together via HJsplit? you know?

Since we are totally on the same boat and same stage on this: I can give you the 100% confirmation and the Bdubb seal of approval if it works perfectly and preserves your 04.26.08 baseband while updating you to a jailbroken 3.1.2 cool?

britboy1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Haha... Yeah I need to get an unlocked vers of 3.1.2 as I brought my phone from Rogers in Canada to Bell, also in Canada...

So to summarise I think that you are saying that a custom ipsw will preserve the baseband and and give me a jailbroken iphone runiing 3,1,2...

How are you installing the FM? via itunes? Dont it just give you an error saying the phone isnt elegbale... or are you using a cracked itunes?... I thought I had tried that:cool: pray tell.

Would love that link to the custom unlocked FM you speak of....:)

Actually just looking at sinful repo and they have custome ipsws for activated and unativated... I actually think I need an the one for an official carrier as thatis where i will end up... Bell have ne on an iphone package so should be ok...

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Ok Success!!! going from (Redsn0w 0.8) Jailbroken 3.0.1, 04.26.08 B.b. to

(Restore Mode) SHIFT(option)>Restore to custom(Jailbroken)3.1.2 .ipsw
Firmware still running on 04.26.08 baseband.

img0009copy.jpg

I tested
-3G works
-Wifi works
-Phone callls were made successfully
-text was sent successfully

img0010copy.jpg

But one thing I found aesthetically unusual was the missing 'ROGERS' carrier name on top left corner, I used this exact same custom firmware on another iphone 3Gs and it never had this problem, I have my phone bars, I got my Wifi signal icon, bu no frigin' Carrier name?! I didn't even Unlock the phone, I used a custom Locked .ipsw. and if you even notice in the Settings>General> About screen: next to "Carrier" IT DOES say "Rogers 5.0, so it sees the Carrier and the network is up to date.

I tried turning the phone off (fully shut down) removed SIM and reinserted...and back on again, didn't work

I tried Network Settings RESET...Still no good.

It must have something to do with the combination of old baseband: 04.26.08 and 3.1.2 custom firmware, I cannot see any other reason...since like I said I used the exact same custom firmware to update a 3.1.0 ...05.11.07 baseband to a 3.1.2.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Haha... Yeah I need to get an unlocked vers of 3.1.2 as I brought my phone from Rogers in Canada to Bell, also in Canada...

So to summarise I think that you are saying that a custom ipsw will preserve the baseband and and give me a jailbroken iphone runiing 3,1,2...

How are you installing the FM? via itunes? Dont it just give you an error saying the phone isnt elegbale... or are you using a cracked itunes?... I thought I had tried that:cool: pray tell.

Would love that link to the custom unlocked FM you speak of....:)

Ok you need to make sure you have your 3GS, I repeat 3GS ACTIVATED 3.1.2 custom firmware , then any late (9.0.3 or 9.1) iTunes will do, all you need to do is put your phone first in RESTORE MODE

(YouTube how to put your iphone in Restore Mode to find a decent video on how to do it)

...once your iPhone is plugged in and in Restore Mode iTunes is going to ask to oyu to "CHECK" something, hit "Check" then "Ok" until you get to the screen where you see the "Restore" button

Now you are going to hold SHIFT (on PC) or OPTION ( on Mac) and hit the "Restore" button on iTunes and direct iTunes to your Custom, unlocked, 3.1.2.ipsw firmware and hit OK, and let iTunes do it's thing, be patient before you know it, you are done.;)

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010

img0009copy.jpg

I tested
-3G works
-Wifi works

img0010copy.jpg

But one thing I found aesthetically unusual was the missing 'ROGERS' carrier name on top left corner, I used this exact same custom firmware on another iphone 3Gs and it never had this problem, I have my phone bars, I got my Wifi signal icon, bu no frigin' Carrier name?! I didn't even Unlock the phone, I used a custom Locked .ipsw. and if you even notice in the Settings>General> About screen: next to "Carrier" IT DOES say "Rogers 5.0, so it sees the Carrier and the network is up to date.

I tried turning the phone off (fully shut down) removed SIM and reinserted...and back on again, didn't work

It must have something to do with the combination of old baseband: 04.26.08 and 3.1.2 custom firmware, I cannot see any other reason...since like I said I used the exact same custom firmware to update a 3.1.0 ...05.11.07 baseband to a 3.1.2.

if your iphone is old bootrom. try to re-jailbreak again using pwnage or redsnow. and other easier option is go cydia and search for makeitmine. type in something on the carrier name and use it. Then go back and leave it blank (it might go back to the blank carrier or it might go back to roger)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

img0009copy.jpg

I tested
-3G works
-Wifi works

img0010copy.jpg

Yes, that a known little bug.
You can install carrier logo fixed thru cydia to correct that.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
if your iphone is old bootrom. try to re-jailbreak again using pwnage or redsnow. and other easier option is go cydia and search for makeitmine. type in something on the carrier name and use it. Then go back and leave it blank (it might go back to the blank carrier or it might go back to roger)

I do have MakeitMine installed, I tried exactly what you described still did not work, I even re-jailbroke it. no go.

I'm glad at least it's an "aesthetic" problem rather than a practical, technical one. well I hope it's only aesthetic, as far as I can tell nothing else seems out of order.

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
I do have MakeitMine installed, I tried exactly what you described still did not work, I even re-jailbroke it. no go.

I'm glad at least it's an "aesthetic" problem rather than a practical, technical one. well I hope it's only aesthetic, as far as I can tell nothing else seems out of order.

so you are saying everything work perfectly right? why dont you just use makeitmine and change the carrier into roger

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
so you are saying everything work perfectly right? why dont you just use makeitmine and change the carrier into roger

well that doesn't really fix the core of the problem though, does it?

that's like planting tomatoes in your garden... and when the Tomato season comes, the tomatoes are no where to be found, the tomato plants failed to grow and produce.

So instead: You just go to a tomato field pull couple of tomato plants ( with ripe tomatoes on them) from the roots and bring them and "plant" them in your garden, then pick the tomatoes and tell yourself and others that your garden produced some tasty, red tomatoes.

Ok really weird analogy, but you catch my drift. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.