Upgrade 4.1 to IOS5 with iPad Baseband and Ultrasn0w unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sheppy1, Oct 10, 2011.

  1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 8, 2008
    Okay guys, I doubt I'll be able to do this but if it is possible, I know someone on here will be able to help me do this..

    ..Basically I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS which has the iPads 6.15.00 baseband, I updated to this baseband so that I could use ultrasn0w to use my three sim card in this T-Mobile locked phone..What I would like to do now is upgrade to the new IOS5 while keeping my ultrasn0w unlock (and in turn the 6.15.00 baseband), does anyone know if this is possible and how I'd go about doing this? Thanks :)
  2. psejcf macrumors member

    Oct 9, 2011
    Planet Earth
    From what I know, you can use sn0wbreeze (from ih8sn0w) on Windows to create a custom iOS 5 firmware and then update your phone with iTunes without updating the baseband. I'm guessing you'd have to reinstall ultrasn0w after the upgrade.

    Pwnagetool could be used on OS X to update with a custom firmware while retaining the baseband, but my searches haven't shown pwnagetool being updated to handle iOS 5.0. So it looks like sn0wbreeze on Windows is the only way out for now.
  3. machasm macrumors member

    Dec 21, 2010
    Are you sure that ultrasnow will still work under ios5? I understand that you can use snow breeze to maintain the bb ( in this case iPad 6.15) it's just that I haven't seen any posts confirming that ultrasnow will work.
    Might be better to hold off until ios5 is formerly released (Wednesday), and a tutorial is released explaining it all step by step.
    I am in the same boat actually except currently on 4.3.3.
    Just waiting for the dust to settle first before taking the plunge.
  4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    I would wait for an untethered JB and for ultrasnow to be updated for 5.0
    What's the rush?
    The official 5.0 is not even out yet. You want to be stuck with no unlock?
  5. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Sep 8, 2008
    Yeah I heard that sn0wbreeze might be the way forward but it's just ultrasn0w that I'm worried about, I'll just wait until they announce an update that's compatible with iOS5 first :)
  6. sheen8800 macrumors newbie

    Oct 12, 2011
    Hi, I am in the same situation.

    I have a 3gs. Version 4.1 with firmware 06.15.00, unlocked or jailbroken (something that requires Cydia)

    I want to upgrade to iOS 5, but I dont really care for my jailbreak or if it is unlocked. If fact, I would prefer if it were not unlocked or jailbroken. I only did this because I lived in another country for a few months.

    Can still do this on my own (without resulting into my phone becoming a brick)? Can i just press upgrade right away, or would i need to restore it first and then upgrade it? Does it make a difference?

    Or would I have to go to a shop somewhere and get it upgraded?

  7. labman macrumors 604


    Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit

    read post #2 your jailbreak for life my friend!
  8. sheen8800 macrumors newbie

    Oct 12, 2011
    Ah booo! Thanks a lot, though. I'll just wait until I can get iOS 5 jailbroken, or whatever it is. Thanks again! :D

Share This Page