UPGRADE advice - Design Student has c2d 3.06 4mb RAM TO new 15 i7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rafirafi123, Apr 15, 2010.

1. rafirafi123 macrumors newbie

So I have the top of the line c2d 3.06 500mb 7200 late 2009 machine, 4 gb ram, running the faster graphics card always.

I am in design school, Masters of Landscape Architecture, and I run (or live in) the Adobe suite, and also use Fusion and Windows 7 for Auto CAD and Rhino. Does the new graphics card and processor mean a big step up in performance for me? OR should I wait another iteration? I could sell my current machine, and withe the ED discount, not have to pay too much more. Plus I would be getting the extra screen real estate.

But, I would be throwing down a few hundred dollars, dealing with the sale, and swapping machines.

What kind of performance upgrade is there between the two top end systems running the software that I am? Or would it make sense to just invest in having 8gb RAM?

Thank you in advance.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You don't mention external 30" screen, those also are student priced.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I did the jump from 4gb to 8gb and the difference wasn't huge - expect more from the jump to the i7 with an SSD.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't imagine there would be such a huge difference, especially since you are currently running a 3.06. I have done some CAD work in win 7 on mine with a 2.4 GHz c2d and only 2 GB RAM, and it worked pretty well, so I don't think you would see a noticeable difference at all. However, if you want a pretty big jump in performance, I would say go for an SSD for your current machine. That would give you much more of a performance boost than going to an i7.