iPad Upgrade an iPad 2 from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6.1.x

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lei, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Lei macrumors newbie

I previously refused to upgrade our family iPad 2 WIFI from iOS 5 to iOS 6 because I didn't want to lose the Google Maps integration, nor lose the old YouTube (which deals with geolocation blocking in a different way to the new version).

I now am starting to find that certain apps cannot be updated. Spotify has just stopped working, and I can't upgrade the app it without moving to iOS 6. Since I'm paying a monthly subscription to Spotify, it is rather annoying not to be able to use it!

I've been trying to figure out a way to upgrade to iOS 6 rather than iOS 7, but it seems that I can only upgrade to iOS 7. I've tried to use TinyUmbrella, but either I'm doing something wrong, or it just isn't possible. I've got the ipsw files downloaded for both 6.1.2 and 6.1.3, and then am running the TU TSS server, but iTunes (11.0.1) always returns an error. I obviously don't have the SHSH files for 6.1.x since I never upgraded and if I understand this correctly, SHSH blobs aren't of any use in restoring A5 devices anyway?

Can I somehow make my own custom ipsw?

Bottom line - Is there anyway to upgrade to iOS 6, or am I too late to the signing party and I have no choice but to upgrade to iOs 7?

Any advice greatly received. I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Lei thread starter macrumors newbie

My aim was not to jailbreak the iPad, however, if I was to jailbreak it, would it then be possible?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You don't need to be on iOS 6.x to get SHSH blobs. Use iFaith, tiny umbrella, or redsn0w to grab them

You are right that SHSH blobs don't help for A5+ devices

Your only option at the moment is 7.0.3, no exceptions (unless apple for whatever reason decides to let us restore to whatever version we want)

6. Lei thread starter macrumors newbie

What to do now?

I guess that last comment means "when hell freezes over"! :)

So my options are to stick with iOS 5 and know that the device will remain snappy, but lose certain apps. Or I upgrade to iOS 7 and get a buggy piece of crap that my old iPad 2 will run slowly, but Spotify will work.

Apple really are a bunch of ****wits. :mad:

Thanks for the info everyone. What would you all do in my position?

7. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I'd stay where you are and hope to see a jailbreak sometime soon. As it could be a while till we see one released.