Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I'm just wondering...

I currently have my 3GS jailbroken via PwnageTool on 3.1.

It looks like there are currently 2 possibilities:

1. Wait for updated PwnageTool to update to 3.1.2. Doesn't look like it will be too far off based on the tweets. This keeps my baseband the same - and keeps my phone unlockable (should I ever want to... though doubtful).

2. Upgrade to 3.1.2 through iTunes - and get the baseband update - then use BlackRa1n to rejailbreak. I would get the updated baseband but lose the ability to unlock.

I guess my question is - what does the baseband update do? Does it give better reception? Reduce dropped calls? None of the above? I'm trying to decide what is more important to me...

Thanks.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I'm just wondering...

1. Wait for updated PwnageTool to update to 3.1.2. Doesn't look like it will be too far off based on the tweets. This keeps my baseband the same - and keeps my phone unlockable (should I ever want to... though doubtful).

2. Upgrade to 3.1.2 through iTunes - and get the baseband update - then use BlackRa1n to rejailbreak. I would get the updated baseband but lose the ability to unlock.

I guess my question is - what does the baseband update do? Does it give better reception? Reduce dropped calls? None of the above? I'm trying to decide what is more important to me...

Thanks.

I would suggest to wait for PT for 3.1.2 since you already have your old baseband. Why so anxious to update to 3.1.2 if you're not having issues with 3.1 since there is nothing new in 3.1.2 other than fix 3.1 issues.

You may regret not being able to unlock someday (maybe when you sell your phone) so take the safer route and wait for PT, which should be in 1-2 days (my guess).

As for baseband update, not sure other than it's stripped down so exploits are not as easy to find, if there is one, but if you don't have any issues with current phone service, then you probably are not missing out on anything. Remember you can always update baseband and blackra1n it later by restoring to official 3.1.2, but can't go back to previous baseband.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Well - with AT&T - reducing dropped calls is always an issue...

That's why I'm wondering what the updated baseband does - if anything...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I'm just wondering...

Thanks.

It appears Pwnage Tool 3.1.2 might be released later today. So if you are favoring PT, your wait should be short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.