Upgrade dead logic board on Mid-2009 2.53 ghz 15" to a board with discrete graphics??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dtjay7, Jul 27, 2011.

1. dtjay7 macrumors regular

Hi, I have a 15" Mid-2009 2.53 ghz Macbook Pro that needs the logic board replaced. It is unusual in that it only has the integrated nVidia 9400 and only one fan. Has anyone upgraded their logic board to a better board. I understand that I would need to get the fans and the heatsink but does it mount in the computer the same? Thanks!!!

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You can (guaranteed) upgrade it with a same revision MacBook Pro. Less certain is if you can put in a newer revision MacBook Pro. The general unibody design remains the same, but the internals vary slightly due to the different battery designs and whatnot.

3. dtjay7 thread starter macrumors regular

I have studied the logic board replacement walkthrough for both the normal two fan Mid-2009 and the Mid-2009 2.53 ghz single fan. I have ordered the center support bracket that mounts the left fan, since it is different than the single fan model (thinner), and a left fan , since the right fan appears to be the same as the single fan. That leaves just the heatsink and logic board itself. I thought I would post what I have found since I didn't find anything when I searched.