Upgrade eligibility advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiKeZz, Apr 30, 2013.

  1. NiKeZz, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013

    NiKeZz macrumors 6502

    NiKeZz

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Location:
    Topeka, Kansas
    #1
    My upgrade eligibility begins tomorrow and its really put me in a corner. On one hand you have the seven month old iPhone 5 that's still a great phone, but doesn't offer a whole lot more than my current 4s. Yes, iOS7 is around the corner and as always this fall a new iPhone may/will come out. My current 4shas three cracks all the way across the screen and the past month of having this issue has been a struggle. The new HTC One is a beautiful phone, but I'm concerned it just "wont be what I'm expecting" even though I couldn't put it down at the Sprint store. If you had an open upgrade eligibility, a cracked 4s, and these two phones to choose from, which option would you go with?
     
  2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    #2
    You have 14 days to return it.
     
  3. coolio93 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2013
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #3
    Sprint charges a restocking fee. He'll be out 50 bucks if he doesn't make the right decision the first time.

    Personally, I would buy the 5.
     
  4. srsub3 macrumors 6502

    srsub3

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    Wait! if you don't need lte there is no much difference between the two.... after you will have only regrets....
     
  5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #5
    I would spend $100 to fix the 4s and wait for IP6 and IO7 see what they bring. When u upgrade at some point, the 4s can still be a good back up phone, or sell.

    Just because you are eligible doesn't mean you have to exercise it.
     
  6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

    Jordan921

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #6
    Just wait it out for the iPhone 5S if you can. The htc one is a pretty nice phone tho n
     
  7. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2013
    #7
    I would get the HTC One, I was in the same boat as you 6 months ago (between the i5 and droid DNA) but chose the i5. I wish I'd gone with my gut feeling and just got the DNA cuz the 5 is exactly the same as my iPhone before it.
     
  8. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    #8
    I would get the 4s repaired and wait if you have the cash.
     
  9. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

    NiKeZz

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Location:
    Topeka, Kansas
    #9
    I'm out of warranty though. I have the cash, but would rather put that $100 towards something else.
     
  10. ripper998 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #10
    Tough call....My upgrade is next week. I already have an iphone 5 and have two lines which allow me to upgrade every year (Cant beat it for $10). My wife has an upgrade next week too. I have had an iphone since the 3G and I think I am ready for a change. The new windows phone have intrigued me and I think I will give one a spin for a year till the next Iphone comes out. Going to give my wife my iphone 5 so she can keep her upgrade to the iphone 6 or something else she may want.
     
  11. ChittagongBoy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2011
    #11
    I currently have the 4S and out of warranty, the Sleep/Wake button died on me, apple wanted 200$ to replace the device , my upgrade is in July, so I decided to pay45$ to the kiosk at the mall to replace the button and wait for the 5S -- your call, some places replace iphone screens for 75$
     
  12. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

    NiKeZz

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Location:
    Topeka, Kansas
    #12
    My Sleep/Wake button is broke as well. Forgot to add that to the list.
     
  13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #13
    If you are not heavily invested in the iOS apps then I'd go with the HTC One since it sounds like your current iPhone has so much damage. It will be a bit of an adjustment though but its a really nice and well reviewed smartphone. HTC is historically bad at updates however.

    If you're like me and have hundreds of dollars sunk in apps, then it might be better to get the iP5 even though the 5s is coming out in the fall. First of all, most rumors indicate that the 5s will not experience a hardware re-design except *maybe* the inclusion of a fingerprint scanner. Second, the iP5 will definitely get the iOS7 upgrade which is rumored to be a major overhaul over what we have now--so it will likely feel like a new phone when that happens.
     
  14. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

    NiKeZz

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Location:
    Topeka, Kansas
    #14
    I'm more invested in my iPad apps than I am my iPhone. Maybe $5-$10 of iPhone apps total I think. Mostly iTunes is where my invested money is. I'm keeping my 4s as an iPod for the car. I think I'm going to test the HTC One out for a few days and see if I like it, if not, I can always return and pick up the iPhone 5 after.
     
  15. puma1552 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    #15
    I'm in the same boat as a launch day 4S owner, in that I too can upgrade to a 5 starting today.

    My phone still looks great, but the camera shutter won't open and Apple offered to fix it for $80 a few months back but I decided it wasn't worth it with my upgrade happening...it's my only camera though so not having it sucks.

    I can't decide what to do either, since my 4S is a great phone other than the camera issue.
     

Share This Page