Upgrade eligibility if I just renewed my plan but did not get a new a new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mautal, Jul 7, 2008.

1. mautal macrumors member

Hello All

I have read thousands of these forum posts and seems like everyone is in a different situation... Here is my problem:

I have a family plan with 4 lines, my sister and I want iPhones, our parents dont know how to use the cell phones they have now. For whatever reason I do not know, my dad does not want to split the family plan and have me and my sis do our own thing and get iphones. Our contract expired in March so we have been upgrade eligible for at least a couple months.

So what is my best option here? I'm thinking we just go and renew the contract for another two years, and get my parents two new phones (as their current ones are not working too well) and not get phones for my sister and myself. This way we would still be upgrade eligible come this Friday? And can just tack on the additional $60/mo for 2 iphones? Please help!

thanks

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

sounds good, jus renew theirs, get them new phones... then come friday do the same to both of yours.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Maybe you should stop relying on your dad to pay for your phone (and maybe he doesn't want to switch because it costs more)

4. mautal thread starter macrumors member

Wow... thanks for your help! I will upgrade the two lines first so my parents get new phones, and not touch my phone so I will still be eligible later...
    since I PAY for the bill monthly I guess that would be the best option

5. tritonj macrumors 6502a

your parents have been with their old phones for this long wait the extra 4 days and avoid any frustration with your upgrades possible mistakes on the accounts

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Seems like your dad is the sticking point. He's the one throwing the wrench into the works.

If I read this correctly, YOU are the one paying for the entire family plan? Shouldn't it be YOUR decision what to do with the plan?

Or are you paying for it but collecting money from each of your family members? In other words your dad is paying part of the bill...

Sounds like you are older and no longer living with your parents...and that this is just a family arrangement that you have worked out with your parents. Or maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here. Seems like if it your money you should be able to do what you want with it. Same for your sister.

Not sure how it would work to add 2 iPhones on a regular family plan unless that family plan has unlimited data. I think that's kind of one of the requirements of the iPhone, that you have unlimited data.

7. mautal thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I am older and out of the house, but live right next door! My dad said its more convenient if we kept it as one family plan... and i must admit it is pretty convenient that im paying for it :p

But I finally got to speak to someone @ AT&T, and I was told that my line is separate from everyone else's even though its a family plan... so if my parents renew and get new phones, as long as I dont renew I will still be eligible, but my contract will end at a different date. I always thought that the family plan meant that all the lines in the contract would expire at the same time??

I'll just wait til the end of July to get the iphone... I'm hoping that most of the hype will die down and I can talk to an AT&T rep who isn't stressed out over the million phone calls they get per hour.

Thanks for your help though

8. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Now that's some good advice! You should listen to that.