Upgrade fee? $30 charged by Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Sep 14, 2012.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Anyone else get stuck with an upgrade fee of $30 through Verizon?

I ordered on the phone today, and the rep told me it was new and I could not avoid it.

He said you will be charged on any carrier, but if you order through Apple, it shows up on your next cell phone bill instead of your current order.

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

These carriers will do anything to reap the cash out of your a$$. I mean, seriously, an upgrade fee of $30. On top of an activation fee of $36, which can be done in less than 5 mins. Then, taxed on the full price of the iPhone.

When you buy LCD TV's, computer or clothes that are on sale, do they tax those good on the regular price? (a rhetoric question).

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or do they charge a connection or activation fee for plugging your TV to your cable or satelite provider?
    The stuff they come up with in order to make more money is crazy.
    Sure, I'll pay AT&T $36 when I plug in my phone to itunes to activate it.

4. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I guess the upgrade fee isn't charged if you pay for the non-subsidized price?

5. NJFP macrumors 6502

Yep. Got hit with the $30 X 2 yesterday. And I was informed that my unlimited Verizon data plan was no longer any good. Now, had I left well enough alone and stayed with our two iP4 phones, my data plan wouldn't have changed. They're all buggers, 'eh?

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

Yes because it's not an upgrade.

7. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Yes, upgrade fee. You are upgrading from 3G service to 4G LTE service. Hence the upgrade fee.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think if you got a new phone off eBay and wanted to switch you would get charged. It's really insane. Charge me for actual service, not some person or computer changing a damn number on my account.

In the times I have dealt with Apple, they have often fixed or replaced stuff for free without giving me the runaround or some stupid fee. That's why I'm loyal. They even replaced my iMac display when I brought it in for a look at the optical drive.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....but that IS an actual service. :eek: You do know they have to pay those people and buy the computers.;)

I agree they will nickel and dime you to death and should just amortize the fee into the monthly service.

10. renesandy macrumors regular

renesandy

$36 on AT&T. Will definitely try and get it waived.