Upgrade from 1.83 Ghz Macbook to 2.13 Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spiralhill, Nov 10, 2009.

1. spiralhill macrumors newbie

Hey,

Wondering if i can get some advice. I'm thinking of upgrading my almost 3 year old macbook 2.0 with 2Gb of RAM to a new 2.13 macbook also with 2GB of ram. someone offered me $750 for my current book and i can get the new 2.13 GB macbook for $949 + tax including a 3 year waranty from Best Buy The new macbooks are not appealing for me due to the fact that they have axed the firewire port and i use my laptop for music (need the extra port, and firewire is more reliable than USB).

Was wondering what i could expect in terms of increased performance? I guess i'm paying for the ability to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB and to have a new machine. Any thoughts?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

4. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I bought one of the 2.13 MacBooks from Apple's refurb store last month and it's an excellent machine. For $749+tax it was a very good deal, as witnessed by the fact that when they do appear there, they don't stay for long.

5. ipodftw macrumors member

Refurb macs are very good price [​IMG] i would recommend them!

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'm confused. Your threat title indicates you have a 1.83GHz MacBook, but then you say you have a 2.0GHz machine. You also say you're upgrading to a new 2.13GHz model, but the 2.13GHz machine was the last-generation MacBook, which did have a FireWire port.

So, I assume you're asking if you should upgrade to the new MacBook, which does not have FireWire. In that case, if you need FireWire, then the answer is no. If you need FW, and the new machine does not have it, than you should not buy one.

If you can live without FireWire, then you will find the new machine a fantastic upgrade. I recently upgraded my CoreDuo BlackBook to the MBP 2.26, and it's night and days difference. The new machine is way faster. The 2.13GHz MacBook will be faster than your current machine, too, if you decide to go refurb. :)

Have you thought about spending a bit more and getting the MBP? It will give you FireWire, more expandability in the future, a better screen, and a sweet aluminium enclosure.

7. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

Definitely make the sale.

Refurb site is you're best friend.

8. spiralhill thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, original tittle was wrong. My machine is a 2.0 GHZ Core Duo.
    And yes i'm wanting to pick up an end of the line or refurbished macbook not the new one. It looks like there's a lot better components in the 2.13 so if the other guy will still buy my macbook i'm going to do it for sure.