All iPads Upgrade from 3rd iPad to iPad Air, new iPad mini or wait for next iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sven11, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

I currently own a 3rd generation iPad and both the iPad Air and the Mini (since they have the exact same specs) are interesting to me. I just don't know if I'd like a bigger display or better portability. So go for the Air or the Mini? Or should I wait for the next iPads with Touch ID? What would you recommend to me?

2. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I have an iPad 4 (which I'm very happy with) but I'd wait for the next iPad which will probably have touch ID and 8mp camera.

3. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If so, should I get the next Air or Mini then? (assuming they have the same specs again)

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

If you like the bigger size, I would guess the lighter iPad air would be appealing. If not, mini retina seems nice. I might hold on to the iPad 4 for a while longer but I've had the 3 and I appreciate the speed increase.

5. Altis macrumors 68000

Do you find yourself wishing your iPad were a bit smaller and lighter? Then consider the mini.

Otherwise you may prefer the full size.

6. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the problem. I don't know if I like the bigger size more than a better portability. Considering that both displays have the same resolution, my old method for just getting the highest resolution doesn't work anymore.

Btw does anyone know if a Mini fits in a jacket pocket?

7. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

I'd go for bigger iPad.

8. RenoG macrumors 65816

So basically you're just looking for an excuse to get a new shiny toy. Get the air if you are going to be watching a lot of movies and videos, Netflix etc. otherwise get the mini.

9. EedyBeedyBeeps macrumors newbie

EedyBeedyBeeps

Is it a bad idea to wait until the Mini is available, then buy it and try it and return it if it doesn't work out? After that, buy the Air?

10. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When exactly is it going to be available?

11. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Sucks to see Apple sell us on TouchID and their new spiffy camera on the 5s and then turn around and ask us to be okay WITHOUT it on their new iPad.:rolleyes:

I do more sensitive things on my iPad than my iPhone (seeing how small the screen is and all)...Seems rediculous to leave out the TouchID...Also, they make the slo-mo mode look like we just HAVE to have it!

Ill stick with my iPad 3 and all its hugeness a little while longer.:cool:

12. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Waiting for next year. I want that touch i.d.

13. sleepyking macrumors 6502

14. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I've got the iPad 3. If Apple hadn't used the "Air" name for the iPad 5, I'd probably buy it. But, I figure where there's Air, there's bound to be Pro. My guess is that another version of the iPad is only about 6 months away.

Much as I'd love a faster, thinner, lighter iPad, I'm probably going to wait for the next version since the 3 is still meeting my needs.

15. EedyBeedyBeeps macrumors newbie

EedyBeedyBeeps

In the US, the Air will be available Nov 1. Mini will show up sometime later in November--nothing specific yet.

16. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

RE: Fitting in a jacket pocket -- I noticed that the mini is the exact width of a standard DVD or Xbox 360 game case, and is 1 cm taller and about half as thick. Not a bad way to get a feel for where it'd fit!

17. Marli macrumors regular

I will buy this one, and the next one with its Touch ID. Off to put my name on one..

18. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I love my 3 too and don't intend to upgrade anytime soon, it shares the same processor as the mini and ipad 2 so it will get at least one more ios upgrade

19. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Getting the Mini, staying with my current iPad and waiting for the iPad Pro in March with 12-13 inch display and touch ID.

Not having TouchID lost them many sales it would seem.

20. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I have a 3 and can't wait to get rid of this laggy POS. Sadly, the new iPads don't really convince. The Mini looks great and is a better value than the Air (much better PPI at a lower price), but it's a little too small for me. Also, we don't know anything about RAM and graphical performance yet - if the new ones still only have 1 GB, that doesn't cut it. Pretty dumb situation, since I'm more than ready to dump my 3.

21. benh911f macrumors 6502

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have had the iPad 3, and even though I watch a ton of movies/TV shows on it, I sometimes wonder if it's too big and I would like the Mini better. I was expecting the Retina Display on the new one, but wasn't expecting the $70 price increase. Now that the Air is only a pound, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to that.

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I was half expecting the price increase, but what I really wasn't expecting at all was that the mini would match spec per spec with the iPad Air (assuming of course the A7 and RAM are identical), which I think is amazing and for me at least, that makes the price hike a non-issue. Also, the mini now has a higher PPI than the Air, which should make its display look a little higher in quality.

But right now I'm on the fence between the Air and mini myself. I have owned and used both but I still really can't decide on what to get. Boy. First world problems. :rolleyes::p

23. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Heaven can Wait

Same here. I currently have an iPad Mini but found the processor and retina display were not enough of an incentive for me. The fingerprint sensor (love it on my iPhone 5s) would be great! Like you, I will wait and see what the next generation of iPads brings.

24. redmamoth macrumors member

After much deliberation, I've decided what I'm going to do (current iPad2 16Gb+3G owner from launch). I'm not going to rush.

I'm going to wait for the Retina Mini to hit the refurb store then pick one up there. Then if they release TouchID to the iPads this time next year, I'll just sell it on for one of those. I will also have experienced both the 9.7" and 7.9" screen sizes so will be better informed on which 2014 model I want to buy.

Seems like the most sensible option for me. If this years had TouchID then it would have bought it Day 1.

25. kyriostrife macrumors member

I sold my ipad 3 in hopes getting of a mini retina. The weight of the Air is definitely appealing. But I like the portability of the mini.

I would've been 100% sold on the mini if the price structure remained the same. But now it isn't.

t'll end up being something where I have to try both in store.

In the end I'd have to factor that I don't need the full size of the Air and I'd be saving $100 by getting the mini. Plus the bonus that the mini has the same specs (minus the screen size) in order to justify the extra $70.