Upgrade from APEB to iConnect and 802.11N gaming router or get NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gumbyx84, Mar 18, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Recently I found out about the Iomega iConnect (thread I made about it) and have become very interested in getting it as I would like an easy way to stream media to my PS3 and XBMC. I was about to order it from Amazon when I remembered I am out of extra ethernet ports on my AirPort Extreme, which means I can't connect the device to my network. I could just get a new router, but I'm kinda of against spending $250+ on a new router setup after having my AirPort Extreme for little under 2 years.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if its worth getting the iConnect and "upgrading" to a 802.11 N router (like a D-Link gaming router) or just break down and get a "real" NAS. If I get the NAS, I need it to have Time Machine Support, SMB/ASP networking, and UPnP. I would also like it to be around $200 if possible.

So do I get the new setup or just break down and get a NAS? Any help or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

PS A NAS I can buy at a big-box store like MicroCenter would be great, but I know that limits my choices.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One thing you could look in to is getting a Ethernet hub or switch. Not a router, you want a hub or switch. They are pretty cheap here's a cheap one on the Best Buy site, just so you know what your looking for.

3. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I was hoping to get some feedback on a decently priced NAS. Anyone think they can help me out?