Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spunrubbermat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Az
I was able to upgrade my Apple RAID 0 set (SSD) in my 2011 iMac from OS X Sierra to OS X High Sierra by the following:

I downloaded (didn’t install) OS X High Sierra. High Sierra won’t directly upgrade an Apple RAID 0 volume.

Cloned (Carbon Copy Cloner) my OS X Sierra RAID 0 set to an external (thunderbolt single drive).

Opened and started High Sierra installer and upgraded the external (cloned) drive to High Sierra.

Reboot into the High Sierra external drive.

Erased RAID 0 set using disk utility (High Sierra).

Cloned the external drive (High Sierra) onto my internal Apple RAID 0 set.

Disconnected external drive and rebooted my iMac into High Sierra system.

Success (so far). All programs and files are functional so far.

File system isn't changed to APFS

Note: I have redundant backups and clones just in case this didn’t work!
So far, success.

Fredd057

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
Hi !

I hope this works ...

Do u use CCC for "Cloned the external drive (High Sierra) onto my internal Apple RAID 0 set." ?

Thanks !

spunrubbermat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Az
I was able to upgrade my Apple RAID 0 set (SSD) in my 2011 iMac from OS X Sierra to OS X High Sierra by the following:

I downloaded (didn’t install) OS X High Sierra. High Sierra won’t directly upgrade an Apple RAID 0 volume.

Cloned (Carbon Copy Cloner) my OS X Sierra RAID 0 set to an external (thunderbolt single drive).

Opened and started High Sierra installer and upgraded the external (cloned) drive to High Sierra.

Reboot into the High Sierra external drive.

Erased RAID 0 set using disk utility (High Sierra).

Cloned the external drive (High Sierra) onto my internal Apple RAID 0 set.

Disconnected external drive and rebooted my iMac into High Sierra system.

Success (so far). All programs and files are functional so far.

File system isn't changed to APFS

Note: I have redundant backups and clones just in case this didn’t work!
So far, success.
[doublepost=1506554676][/doublepost]
Hi !

I hope this works ...

Do u use CCC for "Cloned the external drive (High Sierra) onto my internal Apple RAID 0 set." ?

Thanks !

Yes, carbon copy cloner previously installed (latest version) on the external drive.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
my old 2010 Mid MacBook Pro MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 Raid-0 setup updated to (not clean install) MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 HFS+ Raid-0,trim enabled, very zippy indeed, boot times from power button to desktop took 33.5 secs. i've used SuperDuper to cloned Sierra 10.12.6 raid-0 setup to external single drive updated thru App store to 10.13.4 and cloned back to ssd raid-0 HFS+ format. good luck.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
my old 2010 Mid MacBook Pro MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 Raid-0 setup updated to (not clean install) MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 HFS+ Raid-0,trim enabled, very zippy indeed, boot times from power button to desktop took 33.5 secs. i've used SuperDuper to cloned Sierra 10.12.6 raid-0 setup to external single drive updated thru App store to 10.13.4 and cloned back to ssd raid-0 HFS+ format. good luck.
Thanks I’m prepping everything now for the move!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.