Upgrade from SL to Lion, will I have to re-install Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Colin Len, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Colin Len macrumors newbie

I'm currently running Snow Leopard at home and boot Windows 7 when I'm at work. I'd like to upgrade to OSX Lion so that I can take full advantage of iCloud. If I go thru the Lion install will that change what I've already got going on my other partition? I would think not, but I'm just not sure how Bootcamp deals with that.

Also, due to some issues at work which are too long to explain here I'm also going to need to make some changes to my Windows partition at work. This involves getting rid of 7, installing XP, then re-installing 7 again. I saw in another post that you can't install XP with Bootcamp if you're running Lion. I assume then that I need to do these windows OS installs before switching to Lion?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It would not hurt to do your 7->XP->7 switcheroo under 10.6. The main problem with installing XP under Lion is with Boot Camp Assistant and the provided Boot Camp 4.x drivers. You can still install XP manually by holding Alt/Option during boot.

You should not lose anything through the Lion upgrade, but always have a full backup regardless.

B

3. Colin Len thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I think it will be best to just wait. But I'm so anxious to start using iCloud! lol