Upgrade Help - AT&T SIM Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christopher387A, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I used my mother's line (with her permission ;)) to upgrade today since she's not interested in phones. AT&T would not let me leave with the phone until it was activated. Turns out they botched the activation so it is not activated, but my mother's phone is now unable to make or receive calls. What do I need to do to get her back to being able to function as normal? She's 2 hours away and technology deprived, so I need to get it fixed as soon as possible. There are no AT&T stores where she lives.

The AT&T store really screwed this one up. They turned down 4 people while I was in there alone because they said it was fraud if the phone was not activated and were also not allowing cross upgrades blaming it on Apple.

2. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

She most likely needs a new sim as you technically now have her phone.

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

What they needed to do was activate the SIM on your line before even turning the phone on. They screwed it up.

4. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

:mad: I know. Ugh. They kept telling me they couldn't give me the phone under any number but hers since it was "fraud".

5. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Yup, not suppose to turn the phone on until it's activated on your number.

6. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

Yea, they screwed up. AT&T even has a section of their website to help you do an upgrade swap easier. They have a step by step instruction on how to active the new phone under a different number than the one it was bought on.

It is NOT fraud. Your Mom extended her contract and she got a new phone for a discounted price. There is nothing in that deal that says SHE has to be the one using the phone. She is free to give that phone to whoever she wants.

http://www.att.com/esupport/iphoneupgradesupport.jsp?source=ECSAFBFAC00D1000S

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Awesome! Thanks for that link. I'm doing an upgrade swap myself, but haven't received the phone yet.