Upgrade iPhone 4 to IOS 6 before iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aragornii, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Aragornii macrumors 6502

So should I upgrade my iPhone 4 to IOS 6 before backing up and restoring to new iPhone 5, or not bother with the upgrade?

I don't really care about being able to use IOS 6 for the next two days, the question is if it's better from a compatibility standpoint.

2. domodazzzle macrumors member

Can't see it making a difference, although the iPhone 4 does seem alot quicker on iOS 6 if you're planning to sell it on to someone else?

3. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

If your phone is backed up, then it will just restore from that back up...

If your not bothered about putting it onto iOS6 then dont bother?

I've just done my 4S just to see what its like! And then listed it on eBay ready for the arrival of 5.

4. Castle87 macrumors regular

I'm not upgrading just for the simple fact I want my phone to feel all new. The 5, in my opinion, loses some luster if I'm running the same ios on my 4. Besides, I only have to wait two more days.

In terms of it being more compatible, I don't know. I'm starting my 5 off fresh. Not transfering anything

5. Aragornii thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that once with my Macbook Pro. Wanted to start fresh so did not restore from Time Machine. It's great to have the look and feel of the new OS (not have the old wallpapers and system junk, etc.), but it was such a huge nightmare getting everything added back manually I swore I'd never do it again. I grossly underestimated the work involved in manually restoring my system. I assume, though, that much less is involved in restoring an iPhone.

6. bumblehat macrumors regular

Don't worry. The iPhone 4 running iOS6 is missing pretty much all the notable upgrades that you would notice on the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5 when it arrives. The one thing I have noticed is it is significantly quicker.