Upgrade Late 2006 17in iMac core 2 duo 2.0 to core 2 quad q6600?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drjaymez, Aug 7, 2012.

1. drjaymez macrumors member

I know plenty of people upgraded their core duo to core 2 duo. Not sure if anybody ever tried a core2 duo to core 2 quad? Sockets look compatible. Not sure if the iMac would recognize it, and if it did, what speed it would set the processor at.

I've acquired a late 2006 iMac with a broken display that I plan to use as a small OSX Lion server. I'm not in a hurry to take it apart, but thinking about potential.

If nobody can definitively say it WONT work, maybe I'll give it a try some day and take pics. The chips are less than $100 used these days. And I've only got about $100 in the iMac. The time and effort involved with the possibility of it all being futile are the biggest downsides in my mind.

2. will592 macrumors newbie

Doing the same thing

I actually have the quad core cpu on my desk ready to go in a 24" version of the same machine. Have you tried it yet? I'll let you know how it works out for me!

3. drjaymez thread starter macrumors member

I ordered it from eBay today actually. Did you try yet? I will have to take down the work wiki server and have a good half-day to fiddle with it, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

iMac CPU = Socket M
    Q6600 = Socket 775

Won't fit.

5. drjaymez thread starter macrumors member

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yeah, no. They moved to the desktop processors in 2009. The earlier models are all socket P or socket M (laptop sockets). T7600 (2.33GHz Core 2 Duo) is the fastest socket M processor.

7. drjaymez thread starter macrumors member