Upgrade Macbook Unibody vs Buying New

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Toucansma, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Toucansma macrumors member

Hi,

Longtime watcher, only posted a few times. I am the owner of a 2008 Macbook Unibody 2.4ghz with 2gb ram with SL. I am considering upgrading the ram and the battery maybe. Currently it is feeling a little pokey right now and the battery isn't so hot (I had to replace the original battery and I was stupid and bought a battery that only held around 3600mah). The battery on a good day goes about 3 hours, but more in the 2 hour range. Programs are starting to feel a little bogged down. I think part of it is I want to wipe the hard drive and start over as I probably have a lot of little junk files. However to do my job, I now have to use Windows software, so I will be running a lot of virtualization (like Virtual with XP or 7). I am wondering if it makes sense to start upgrading this computer or sell it while it still has decent value and get a bottom of the line Macbook Pro 13 (which is awesome). I know there is no true answer, but just wanted some opinions. Also what have people been selling their old 08 unibody's for (ebay looks like 700s?)?

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I humbly think that since you're feeling that your Alu MB is starting to slow down when performing your tasks, it probably makes sense to sell your current MB & buy the new 2011 MBP to replace it. I'm sure you'll very easily get at least $700 for your Alu MB. :)

Good luck. :)

3. iLucas macrumors 6502

A new baseline MBP would be great for you and if you sold your current for $700 the new one wouldn't be that big of cost to upgrade too. The new MBPs have a lot more upgrade potential then what you currently have in that machine so it'll last you much longer. As you said it still has decent value and the longer you wait to upgrade to a newer one the more value your current one loses.

4. bozz2006, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I have the 2.0GHz of that same model and I find it completely underpowered for satisfactory virtualization. The new quad core i7 MBPs handle it flawlessly. For most stuff, your aluminum macbook would do fine, but not for virtualization.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Just switching from a 2.4GHz C2D MBP to a 2011 2.2GHz i7. I found upgrading the RAM helps, but nothing compares to a nice quad-core :D

6. Toucansma thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I kind of figured that, but wanted to check with others on their thoughts.

I thought both the i5 and i7 mobile are dual core and not quad core (except with hyperthreading to windows)?

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The i5 is, but the i7 in the 15 and 17" models are quad core. The i7 in the 13" is dual core.