Upgrade mobile share line allocated to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPaul, Sep 14, 2012.

1. iPaul macrumors regular

I recently added my iPad to my AT&T mobile share plan, which required adding a line for the iPad...there is a number assigned to the iPad even though it's never used. Interestingly, when I check my eligibility on AT&T this number shows up too and says a two-year upgrade is available. If I bought the phone at upgrade pricing on this line, would they make me pay for two iPhones? or could I just activate it on my iPhone line?

xxx-xxx-xxxx is eligible for a discounted upgrade.

This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option.

2. zorahk macrumors 6502

This is what I want to know.

3. iPaul thread starter macrumors regular

has anyone figured this out? the order has gone through, seemingly..

4. nikster0029 Contributor

nikster0029

I did this since I couldn't transfer my number. It works well just need to change the line and downgrade the contract back to a tablet.

5. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

When I called AT&T, they actually recommended this route to me. Got the iPhone 5 at the fully subsidized price using my iPad line. When I get the phone, I'll call AT&T to activate, and they'll switch the numbers back, they call it a "Cross Upgrade".

6. darthastuart macrumors member

Okay, so I just bought a new phone for store pickup using this method. Used apple.com, the mobile # assigned to the iPad on my mobile share acct.

Anyone else reporting success with this? Any tips? My plan is to follow the same path as those doing the upgrade swap, don't turn on phone until I call AT&T to switch the lines...I'm just paranoid AT&T will try to retroactively charge me the early upgrade fee or something, or force me to pay the full $35/month for a third mobile line rather than the $10/month tablet charge...

7. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

Did this work for you? I want to try it myself.

8. Copefree macrumors member

I just noticed this the other day when I added my iPad 3 to my Verizon Share Everything plan.

I wonder if this will really work?!?

9. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I called AT&T to see if this would work. the woman I spoke with said that she wasn't sure, so let her ask her manager. She came back after a couple of minutes & said that yes, this is perfectly fine. They will do the cross upgrade & then put the iPad line back down to a tablet but there will be a 24 month contract on the iPad line, of course. So, I'm going to place an order.

10. spades1412 macrumors 6502

This will definitely work. All your doing is moving your month to month iPad line to a 2 year contract. If you were to cancel that line, you would be stuck with an ETF like any other line under contract.

11. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I'm trying to place an order online & it forces me to choose an individual data plan & when I select one it says I will be leaving my mobile share plan. It will not let me continue without choosing a plan so I have aborted for now.

12. rritterson macrumors 6502

Hmm... interesting idea. Right now I have 500 minutes/1500 texts/4GB data for $110 a month. I could switch to a mobile share plan and pay $10 more for the iPad and use it directly instead of tethering it to my phone like I do now.

So $120 more a year to be able to upgrade every year, saving $450 vs buying a new phone.

I like this math!