Upgrade my 2.66ghz 17" Core 2 duo mbp to SSD or Sell it and get an i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjoplin21, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. bjoplin21 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2010
    #1
    Hey I'm new to the forum here and would like to get some opinions on what I should do in my situation. I have a 17 inch 2008 Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4GB ram with 500GB 7200rpm drive. It is my main machine and I use it for audio recording and HD video editing in FCE. I love the machine but I know the i7 could really speed up video exporting. I was wondering do you guys think I should sell this and put some money with it to get a 17 inch i7 MBP later next month? Or should I upgrade this to a 256GB SSD and wait a few months down the line for another Macbook Pro? I'm already set on getting another 17 inch when I do upgrade.... thanks for any feedback...
     
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #2
    I would wait for the new revision that should be coming up in the next few months to include Sandy Bridge processors
     
  3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

    johnnymg

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    #3
    I'd suggest an SSD for boot and HD in the CD bay as an interim holdover until the next gen is released. You might even decide that 2.66 GHz doesn't need replacing.

    JohnG
     
  4. bjoplin21 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2010
    #4
    Yeah I thought about just getting the 256GB SSD for around $650 and also maxing out my RAM to 8GB instead of selling my laptop and getting an i7.
     
  5. ozreth macrumors 65816

    ozreth

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #5
    Why not get a much smaller SSD for a third of the price and stick it in the optical bay, keeping your current hard drive for storage?
     
  6. bjoplin21, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

    bjoplin21 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2010
    #6
    I have alot of application files so I need the 256GB. My Logic Pro install takes up a huge chunk of disc space. Sidenote; I'm also hesitant about getting a SSD drive for my MBP due to no TRIM support yet...hmmm
     
  7. toxic macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    #7
    Sandy Bridge won't be so much faster than Westmere that it's worth waiting for, especially if you do a lot of audio/video work.

    I don't believe an SSD is worth it for your use, either...most HD access for you would be sequential, right?
     
  8. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

    christophermdia

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #8
    I would go ssd and then upgrade later and have the ssd for whatever you upgrade to. I got a 2.66 i7 but didnt feel like it was much faster than my 2.4 C2D until I upgraded the ssd....huge difference...
     
  9. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Location:
    Tokyo
    #9
    I had a 2.53GHz C2D and got an applecare replacement 2.66 i7. They are quicker but not that much quicker. Go SSD and upgrade in a few revisions time.
     
  10. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

    George Knighton

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    #10
    Even though you're one of the few of us who would really benefit from an i7, if you're otherwise basically satisfied with your Macbook, I would just get an SSD and wait.

    Although you'll see an advantage with an i7, it's not as great an advantage as you will see in everyday use with an SSD on your current machine.

    If you run across a good deal on RAM, I'd think about that, too, if I were you.
     
  11. bjoplin21 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2010
    #11

    Thanks for the advice. I might do that.
     
  12. miata macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2010
    Location:
    Silicon Valley, Earth
    #12
    + 1
     

Share This Page