Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meemorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi,

I have a Mac Pro (2008) octo 2,8Ghz with 16GB ram, and the 8800GT in it.
I have just started upgrading a few things, namely the boot drive to be a 128GB Crucial SSD to become my boot drive when upgrading to Snow Leopard.

I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card as well, currently: 8800GT, the only conceivable upgrade currently is the 285 GTX however looking around the market it seems most 'windows' based 285GTX now have 2GB almost standard at the same or lower price than the 1GB mac card.

The graphics card would be mostly for some windows bootcamp gaming.

I know there will be a premium involved in buying a mac specific version since the market is much smaller but I was hoping that I could get some opinions from you guys whether the upgrade is well timed or if there could be a new graphics card just around the corner (3-6months)?

Thanks for reading.
M.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Well.....there is the upcoming Radeon 5000 series. Supposedly launching this month some time. Whether or not a Mac-capable 5870 makes an appearance, and when, is anybody's guess.

meemorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Well.....there is the upcoming Radeon 5000 series. Supposedly launching this month some time. Whether or not a Mac-capable 5870 makes an appearance, and when, is anybody's guess.

Nice!
Thanks for the heads up. Let's hope one of the 5...X2 makes it as a mac version.

Even though these are not confirmed to be mac compatible I think a major addition such as these might be worth waiting out just a little bit ;)

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.