Upgrade my order? Advice ASAP please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PieMac, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. PieMac macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    After much deliberation, I finally placed my order for a single 1.25 PowerMac G4 w/ superdrive added.
    I will be using if for all of the typical things: email, browsing, etc. About the most intense I will ever get work-wise is doing home video editing here and there, burning DVD's, iMovie, iDVD, occasional web design (haven't decided on software yet...will probably either be Freeway or Dreamweaver), and some Photoshop....and I use iPhoto a good bit. Oh, and some iTunes, of course.

    Should I call and change my order to a dual processor 1.25 instead of single? I just want to make sure that I have all the bases covered and I want to insure longevity of this machine. I realize that another processor is the only thing that can't really be added later on which is why I am questioning now. It's another $300.00 to add the processor, but is it overkill? At this point, I would rather save the $$ unless it is absolutely worth it.

    My main concern with changing to a dual would be stability and noise. I have read that the dual processors are louder than the single (which makes sense) and it just seems like there are a lot of owners who post with stability problems of sorts. So would twice the power, be twice the headaches? I would hope that the fan noise issues would be addressed at this point...but then I've read where these aren't the exact ones that were offered last year....the current ones have modifications.

    Thanks for any and all advice!
  2. applemacdude macrumors 68040


    Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    It would help the number of years you're gonna get out of it but it will be a bit louder.

    I think you'll be alright with the single couse you dont have anything too intensive. But if you have the money and want the extra go for it. The power is worth for teh fan noise.
  3. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    I decided to change the order yesterday. I figure that it will insure the longevity of the machine...and I really want to hang on to this one for a while. Tired of spending $$ upgrading! (Although I love having a new machine).

    I've read where the most recent builds are much better...Any recent G4 dual owners out there care to comment?

Share This Page