Upgrade nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ginter, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ginter macrumors newbie

For those thinking they will cancel their preorder and buy one in the store, I tried today and after waiting for 2 hours for the ATT reps in the apple store to figure it out, they finally called were told it takes 72 hours for the upgrade eligibility to reset when ordering from apple.com.

The funny thing is, I only had to wait in line for 30 minutes this morning to get into the store and an apple employee assured me even if they sell out of this initial large shipment, another will be coming early next week.

Thanks a lot apple for taking my preorder and then not shipping it until 2 weeks after the release date, that's really useful.

I'll just wait it out until Monday and still get the phone ~ 2 weeks earlier then if I had waited for my preorder to come.

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you waiting to long to preorder your phone.:eek:

How is that AT&T's fault?:confused:

3. kalexn macrumors 6502

I figured Apple would keep getting the shipments in the stores and people with preorders still waiting. I guess from a store perspective to keep them in stock will get them the most money but it definitely stinks for those who preordered. I, sadly, am not eligible for my upgrade until October 1st and Sprint wouldn't budge a week. So I have to wait.

4. sealos macrumors regular

Here is what worked for me...

While in line this AM at the Apple store.... I cancelled my Apple order by going to my orders on apple.com and canceling the order. I waited 10 minutes then called 611. I explained that I had cancelled my order online and needed my upgrade eligibility restored. It took the CSR a few minutes, but was able to do it. I dialed *639# to get confirmation and got it immediately.

So it might take 24 hours for things to propagate if you do not call 611. If you do, it'll be nearly immediate.

Sounds like your AT&T reps were incompetent.

5. ginter thread starter macrumors newbie

It's apples fault more than anything. I never would have preordered if I had known I wouldn't have received it until 2 weeks after the release date. I ordered at 7 am on apple.com, and my friend ordered at 8am on att.com and his is arriving today.

The only reason I didn't cancel earlier was because I had faith that apple was just being conservative and would ship it sooner, but my order was still processing when I got into line this morning.

Apple obviously has tons of phones because the stores have plenty. What is the point of preordering if you get last priority?

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

No one really knows how many the stores have. Pre-ordering is a tradeoff. You have a place in "line" with a delivery date (+/-). Sure, you could opt to go stand in line at a store, but that is no garuntee you will get one that way and you might get placed on an order list further back than you are now.

Time will pass quickly, we will get our phones soon, and with any luck we may be the beneficiaries of refined manufacturing techniques as the bugs get ironed out at employees fine tuned at Foxconn.

7. ginter thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU!!! I called again because of your post and finally got a CSR who did it! I can't believe the 4 in the store after 2 hours told me it wasn't possible and then she did it over the phone.