Upgrade Question with unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by socbrian, Jul 16, 2012.

1. socbrian macrumors regular

Ok, we all know a new iPhone is going to come out sooner than later, and I have an iphone 4 on At&T who is eligible for an upgrade. Now I dont want to lose my unlimited data so I thought up three scenarios and see which one is the most practical or give me another option.

Option 1 - Us my upgrade, pay the $2-- and sign a new two-year contract, therefor I will lose my unlimited date correct?

Option 2- Could I buy the phone without the upgrade so the $8-- price and could I just go to att and make them give me the new sim (nano) size and just put it in the iphone 5 ? would that work?

Option 3 - I have another line on my account that already does not have unlimited data so if I upgrade that line and just use the new iphone 5 on my line. That would also, make me go to att and get a new sim for the phone

If you guys think of any more options that would let me keep my unlimited data, feel free to post them.

Thanks

2. nitemare macrumors regular

Option 1- if your eligible for an upgrade AT&T has not said that they are taking away the unlimited data from those that are grandfathered in.

Option 2- will work but again until the new iPhone is released we do not know if it will be a nano or micro sim. buying full price will get you a factory unlocked one but you may not be able to pre-order and get it full price on launch day.

option 3- if you add it to your second line AT&T will make you add a data plan even if you have that phone listed for just a few hours before you change it over.

id go with option 1 if you are up for the upgrade unless AT&T says they are going to take those on the unlimited data plans off if they upgrade with a subsidy.

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

As of right now AT&T will not penalize your grandfathered unlimited data plan status when upgrading through a subsidized price.

4. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I feel like they might change this and try to get us because it'll be 4g.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this

My data plan currently shows I have 4g LTE unlimited b.c i switched to the s3 for a week and they didn't change it back. I don't think they will really strip people of unlimited b.c of the throttling they do. They know unlimited is a big reason a lot of LOYAL customers are staying with them, and they could potentially lose a lot of business. I think they will keep these customers grandfathered until they decide to leave. The cons of taking it away are not worth it to ATT

6. smotheredhope macrumors regular

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yes, it is throttled, but for $30 get you 5gb (with LTE) before they slow you down. I think, not sure though, 5gb of data would cost more than $30 right?

edit: just looked and it is $50 for 5gb of data.....that is a HUGE difference.....so yeah, it is important

8. smotheredhope macrumors regular

No. What I was saying is throttled=/= unlimited. The minute that they throttle it there is an absolute value to the data that you are allowed to download for the remainder of your 30 days. Trust me. I've been on this unlimited plan since the first iPhone. The throttling just pisses me the **** off. Sorry to hijack your thread

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

i agree the throttling sucks, but the amount of data under LTE you get before the throttle it much cheaper than the Data w/o the "unlimited" plan. 5gb of data cost $50, under the unlimited version you are only paying $30.....if they took that away i would leave ATT.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feel doesn't really mean anything. Citation?

11. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I don't have any citation, that is why I said feel. It is a different type of data speed so if they want to get people off of the unlimited they could force them off with this. That being said, what someone said about at&t having too much to lose makes sense. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I believe it is actually 3gb they start throttling after.

12. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I think a lot of people just need to learn how to manage their data usage better including making better use of wifi networks rather than relying on cellular data. Half the people I know who are clutching to their unlimited data plans didn't even realize they could use their home or work wifi before I pointed it out to them. Now they struggle to even breech 1gb of monthly usage. Usually much less.

13. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

How could they not know? I have unlimited and am on WiFi whenever I am home. I like the new option that appeared in iOS 6.0 Beta 4, WiFi plus Cellular.