Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Evening!
Looking at upgrading my 2015 MBP to HS now, are all the initial niggles ironed out and is it pretty stable now?
If so, does anyone have a link to the latest release with patches included as I will be doing a fresh install from a USB stick.
TIA!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I would say no.....
From what I have read there are still issues people are having (like APFS).
If you need to upgrade just go to the app store.

Reactions: Barry01

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
You'd be safe IMO, but the changes are minimal - in fact hardly noticeable. High Sierra in my subjective experience is slightly more demanding in terms of battery life and CPU power. I would wait another month or so for the next update, if I were you.

Reactions: potassium404

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
This question is now being asked many many times in many different forms. IMHO - YES!!!!

Lou

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I think if your doing a fresh install it should be ok.
When I move to HS it will be an upgrade, so there’s more at stake, with converting my drive and incompatible software with APFS.
I installed it on a blank hdd in my cmp and all seems fine, but will stay with Sierra for now.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
I don't use my MacBook as a laptop just as a powerhouse for my 4k screen.
A 5K iMac at 27"? No thanks.
... and I don't do scaled .. Pointless.... :p

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I don't use my MacBook as a laptop just as a powerhouse for my 4k screen.
A 5K iMac at 27"? No thanks.
... and I don't do scaled .. Pointless.... :p

I would also add that in my experience HS has better GPU performance. That's on my MBP with Iris Pro. Metal 2 seems good on it. Though Endless Space exhibits a lot of graphical issues not present on my Sierra iMac.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I didn't convert my SSD to APFS when I upgraded to High Sierra and I still use Sierra most of the time. I can't recommend APFS at this moment.

Last edited:

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Honestly? No. I would not recommend it. There's too many weird issues that come and go, like random 100% cpu usage by certain websites that never used to use as much cpu and poor battery life.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
You're going to get both ends of the scale here. I'd do it for the security alone. Personally I've upgraded an iMac 5K, Macbook Pro and MacBook and they're all running fine.

jdw13

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Boston, Maine, Chile
IMO, there is always a risk to any software upgrade. There are just too many variables on the particulars of the state of your system. No magic bullets... In my case I have not done a clean install on any computer I've been using and have upgraded way back to the OS X beta. My only quasi-'clean' upgrades have been a few full migrations (including Applications) to new computers. In my case, I keep full TimeMachineBackups, as well as two CarbonCopyCloaner backups of all User directories to remote disks of the User directories.

If you have the time and think you want the new OS, you should be alright it you have good TimeMachine and at least a second, separate backup of important files. If you find you are experiencing problems you can recover to your state before the upgrade and all you have lost is the time, probably a few/several hours...

I did have to do a full TimeMachine recovery once many years ago when I was overseas and had a System disk failure, but I do not recall ever having to recover from an OS upgrade... IIRC, I obtained system from Apple servers and all other files from the TimeMachine.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Evening!
Looking at upgrading my 2015 MBP to HS now, are all the initial niggles ironed out and is it pretty stable now?
If so, does anyone have a link to the latest release with patches included as I will be doing a fresh install from a USB stick.
TIA!

I have a 2015 MBP too. I just did the normal MAS upgrade. The only issue I had was not all the icons were showing correctly. A reboot in and out of safe mode fixed that. I haven't had any other issues.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
No issues here. APFS is running fine. I did an upgrade from Sierra from the first beta. No issues, no need for a clean install IMO.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
What are your upgrading for?

Is there a particular feature of HS that appeals to your work ± play on the computer. Is Sierra not doing the job in some way?

Or are you just sick of the Apple notification with a close box telling you to upgrade

I would upgrade when there are some significant advantages for you, not just when it is safe to do so.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I've been concerned about upgrading my late 2015 5K 27 iMac, primarily because I run off an external TB SSD and I've heard mixed reports about how safe it is. I have multiple clones and backups and I did update my MB Air without issue since the SSD was internal. Converted to APFS w/o issue.

Just not sure whether it's worth the risk.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
So it is possible to move to HS without using the new file system? Will have to do more research on that.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Yes, I have read a thread here about using hfs+ on an ssd drive, using the terminal.

I know of one application I have which doesn’t work with apfs file system, there must be others?
I am assuming you could install a vm of sierra on an hdd (cmp) to run any incompatible software if you went with apfs.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've been concerned about upgrading my late 2015 5K 27 iMac, primarily because I run off an external TB SSD and I've heard mixed reports about how safe it is. I have multiple clones and backups and I did update my MB Air without issue since the SSD was internal. Converted to APFS w/o issue.

If you think the file system will cause issues you can always just install HS on HFS+

Yes, I have read a thread here about using hfs+ on an ssd drive, using the terminal.

I know of one application I have which doesn’t work with apfs file system, there must be others?
I am assuming you could install a vm of sierra on an hdd (cmp) to run any incompatible software if you went with apfs.

No Terminal necessary. When I updated my MacBook Pro, during the update, a prompt popped up asking if I would like to convert my drive to APFS, or install HS without changing the file system - I mean, it may have changed since the .0 release, but I don't see why it would.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
If you think the file system will cause issues you can always just install HS on HFS+

No Terminal necessary. When I updated my MacBook Pro, during the update, a prompt popped up asking if I would like to convert my drive to APFS, or install HS without changing the file system - I mean, it may have changed since the .0 release, but I don't see why it would.

On my MB Air it didn't ask, just did the upgrade and after a couple of reboots came up with the new file system installed.

I think for now I'll just leave it on Sierra until I have a weekend where I'm not working to play around with it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

How's your current install of Low Sierra running?
Is it "fair", "good", or "excellent" for you?

If excellent, are you willing to risk the hazards of "upgrading" to an as-yet-work-in-progress High Sierra?
Only YOU can answer that question.

That said, I'm going to give you the best advice you'll EVER get here at MacRumors:
If you DO decide to upgrade, take the time to use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are FREE to download and use for 30 days) to create a bootable cloned backup of your current (Low Sierra) installation (on an external drive).

If something goes wrong with the High Sierra install, or if it doesn't perform up to your expectations, having a bootable cloned backup makes it EASY to "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged".

If you DON'T take the time to create a cloned backup, you can still "get back" -- but it's NOT going to be "easy"...

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston

I am pretty sure that prompt was only in the first few betas. I believe it does not even ask if it sees a SSD.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I am pretty sure that prompt was only in the first few betas. I believe it does not even ask if it sees a SSD.

Pretty sure I updated from the .0 release version. I also had the betas, but reverted back after the thirds, so maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, if they don't ask anymore that's that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.