Upgrade Shmupgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morecowbell, Sep 6, 2012.

1. morecowbell, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

morecowbell macrumors member

Hi All...

Quick question:

I have a 4s on Verizon. I want to upgrade to the Iphone 5. I'd like to get it on Upgrade Day, but my upgrade isn't until Oct 11th. Can I buy the phone at Full Retail on Launch Day and then return it 2 or 3 weeks later so I can take advantage of my upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The rules differ depending on who you buy it from, but I believe pretty much everyone will charge a re-stocking fee, so this will cost you something in the end.

You're talking about a time-frame of less than 3 weeks, I would honestly suggest just manning up and dealing with the fact that you don't have the absolute newest gadget for a couple of weeks.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

This ^

For sure, just wait

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I hope they drop you as a customer if you buy it, return it only to buy it again cheaper because you cant wait...seriously.

5. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

verizon should go ahead and push your upgrade eligibility..

well thats what AT&T does at least....

if not , yea just buy it full retail

6. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Verizon will let you push an upgrade two months early. Call or speak to a manager in-store.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would wait.

Avoid any chance of a billing snafu.

Avoid chance of your damaging phone and they will not take it back.

In three weeks, you might learn something and opt to not even get the new phone.

And - it is the morally right thing to do. Turning back in a used phone is wrong in this case.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You're right. I've actually negotiated a 90 advance once before. In general for long time customers like myself Verizon is quite accommodating.

9. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I will see if this is the case for an upgrade. But I have been told no so far.

10. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

or you could wait just another month. It is just a phone :)

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It isn't if he is using something crappy for a phone right now ;). If you're on a 4 or 4S, then yes, it's just a phone ;)

12. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

OP states he has an iPhone 4S....

Also, i survived just fine a couple months back on a nokia 5310 dumbphone for almost five weeks while getting a new phone. I was too lazy to buy a new one quickly after selling my iPhone 4. Probably just missed my tower defence game during that but actually read dozens of new books in that time at commute so no complaints.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I still think people get a little weird about these things with the sense of urgency to upgrade on launch day. Is the concern typically one of residual value of the older phone or something of that sort?

14. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

You have a 4S. Not some crappy, outdated, 10 year old phone. Just stick with it for a month :rolleyes:

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You're right.

There are a few different reasons some people are adamant about getting one on launch day. Perhaps one of the most well known is the buying frenzy created by Ringmaster Steve Jobs of the past. Perhaps the worlds best Showman, self proclaimed Magician and Control Artist.

Others buy early because they can, but don't join the insane lines on the streets.

I cannot comment on resale other than by observation, as I keep a spare, then give the others to family or friends. Yet this year will be the exception, the first year I dont upgrade, since Apple has chosen a weird, long but narrow display. A rather clever way of deceiving the public.

The new iPhone with a larger 4.0" screen... the logical assumption the unaware masses will make is that it's just like other 4.0" displays. Only to find out once they've spent their money that Apple had an odd display built just for them. It's only larger in length or depth, but it's the same old size in width, thereby cheating users out of the benefits of a wider screen in landscape mode.

Only Apple could pull off a sham like this and be praised by their followers.

16. morecowbell thread starter macrumors member

OP here….

Let me explain myself…

I appreciate the feedback above. Why do I want to buy on launch day as opposed to waiting?

The situation is odd. I have 2 kids and job…and that takes up 99% percent of time...as it should. As it turns out…my wife is actually going to visit her parents, with the kids, for a long weekend on the 20th and I will be left to my vices. In my VERY RARE free time, I’d love to have a new toy to play with…and that’s my only reason for the rush. If the launch is after the 21st…I’ll just wait…no big deal.

I’m not a criminal…not a freak…just a guy with a rare free weekend who would love a new toy to play with while I sit and watch football. I’d hope Verizon will just let me upgrade 2 weeks early…

17. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

As with other changes made to the iPhone over time in terms of design, etc, beauty and functionality are in the eyes of the beholder.
    Personally, I was never one of those clamoring for a tablet-like phone. I like the slender width and haven't been bothered by the relatively small screen.
    So for me at least, instead of the new design being a 'sham' as you call it, it appears to be a reasonable compromise between those wanting to retain the relatively slim lines of the existing iPhone and those wanting an increase in screen real estate. And voting with your wallet as you plan to do is smart if the new design doesn't work for you. But I think it's excessive to allege that Apple is 'deceiving' anyone or 'cheating' users here. If it doesn't work for your needs and you don't like the changes, don't buy it. If it does and you do like the design changes, then buy it. It's a simple rational decision and not an emotional one as advocates on either side of this issue would make it seem.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

19. madsci954 macrumors 68030

One flaw with your plan: the iPhone will more than likely be on back order by the time the 11th rolls around, probably by a month give or take a week, so you would have to wait. And by the time you got the upgraded phone, you would have missed the return deadline on the full price phone.

Unless you go without an iPhone between the 11 and whenever you receive the upgraded phone. In which case, what's the point? To have the newest and greatest for a couple weeks to save some money?

Either abandon the hope of gettin an iPhone on launch day and wait for your upgrade or pay extra for it on launch day.

20. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

The "facts" you assert are clearly available to anyone who takes the time to measure the screen and calculate the dimensions of the new iPhone (assuming the rumors are true). How does that make Apple deceptive, cheating users or creating a sham?

Again, don't like the dimensions, vote with your wallet.

One of the great things about a more mature smart phone market is that there are a variety of products from a variety of manufacturers that suit various needs and desires that people have. You buy what you need/want and what works for you.

My SUV doesn't have third row seating. There are plenty out there that do. The manufacturer wasn't deceptive and I certainly don't feel cheated. I didn't want/need the extra seating. You don't want to buy what Apple is (likely) offering. That's a smart consumer- purchasing to needs/desire and not because it's new or from Apple. Others will buy the new iPhone because it meets their needs. It ain't rocket science...

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I've been sitting on my upgrade for a year waiting for the new iPhone. I think you can wait.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'd never personally wait in launch day lines for any phone. They are just devices to me. When people complain that they aren't eligible for upgrades until a month or two later, I find it completely silly. They signed up for the contract. The device still works. Exceptions should really be about things like devices that are slowly beginning to fail (home button, battery, etc). Of course that's just my opinion.