Upgrade sim swap question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mlw4411, Sep 21, 2012.

1. mlw4411 macrumors member

I know I'm not to turn on the new phone until after I call ATT about the swap, but was wondering if I take the new sim out and put a cut sim from my 4s in and it doesn't work can I then turn the phone off, put the new nano sim back in and call ATT. Will it effect anything about swapping the sims.
    I would like to avoid the call to ATT customer service and cut my old sim if I can.

2. wrajr macrumors newbie

Tried to have ATT change mine but the hosed me by having me turning my new phone (even after I told I should not) and it activated. :mad:

So I took the sim from my 4s and cut it and put it into the new phone and got my old number back. Works great but be careful cutting -- I used an exacto knife.

You should be able to swap sims before turning you new phone on and get the number you want.

Good luck

3. mlw4411 thread starter macrumors member

I'm wondering if my cutting job doesn't work in the new phone, if I turn it off and call AT&T will the fact I turn in on ( with a different sim) will burn the new sim where I can't have it can't be swapped by AT&T.

4. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

For those that are cutting your SIM card. Are you getting LTE or only 3G? Is there a special SIM card needed for LTE?

5. mlw4411 thread starter macrumors member

Ok just to close this thread out l"ll tell you how the swap when. I upgraded my husband's number. He is out of town. I needed to swap his number for mine in the ip5, call cs at ATT last wk to get info. They told me not to turn phone on, call them and they would take care of it. Sounds easy, but husband is out of town and I don't have a land line so I thought it would be easier to go to the ATT store. So I went Thursday and asked what do I need to do. They said you'll have to bring it in and they would have to handle it. So Friday I go back with my phone and they said, not a problem and proceeded to swap everything, 5 minutes in and out. I should have had them set it up but they didn't offer and I didn't think of it while I was still there. Got home went to set it up and yes it's still in my husband's number. Went back to ATT and I must say I was beginning to get a bit upset, not about the problem but they way the people behind the counter were acting. Wanted to know if I bought it from them, no I preorder from Apple, keep in mind I'm not there about a problem with the hardware but the service, anyhow they told me they couldn't help me. They said had I bought it there they could have. And that was all they said, they acted like they were done with me and I was bothering them, all but walked away from me. They were just hanging out behind the counter talking to each other. The store was not busy at all. I had to stop one of the girl before she left me and ask could I use their phone to call cs, she handed me the phone, again I had to stop her and ask for the cs #. Called and cs was extremely nice and helpful, tried to get it worked out but was also running into problems. She asked me to ask the sales person to give me the sim number and etc, or tell them to speak with her. I had to look for somebody to talk to her and a totally different guy noticed I was looking around for help and offered to talk to her. Two minutes later my phone was working. So my advice is not to bother with ATT stores and just call CS, which I would have done if I had a phone.