Upgrade Situation - Please HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bizzle79, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Bizzle79 macrumors newbie

Bizzle79

Hi everyone,

So I have a situation. I have an AT&T account with 2 phones on it. One line is an iphone 5, new 2 year contract and the other is a current basic (dumb) phone. The dumb phone's current 2 year contract is expiring in a couple of days & i will be renewing it. My headache now is i want to "upgrade" to an iphone 5 but still maintain the basic line on the same line. By "upgrade", I mean use my upgrade to get the iphone 5 and either sell to a friend who needs it or something but continue to use the basic phone with the same line (my sister actually uses the phone and has no desire for an iphone)

So how do I go about this? Getting the phone, ensuring the line is not tampered with and activating the phone for someone else? Thanks for your help

2. Noisemaker Guest

Go to an ATT store and do it in person. They should let you do that pretty easily. Though you might have to wait a while for them to have it in stock.

3. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

You buy an iPhone 5 on you "dumb phone " line and you'll be signing a two year contract for both voice and data.

Not to mention youll have to go to AT&T and get a replacement sim card for you dumb phone as the iPhone will kill that card.

4. Bizzle79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bizzle79

Thanks Noisemaker! I wont want the iPhone to be activated - if i go to an AT&T store or order online, is this possible?

----------

Yes, I'm aware that means signing a new 2year contract.

5. Noisemaker Guest

If you go to the store, they might let you go through it without activating. Online it's not possible.