Upgrade Swap confusion (ATT)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vin365, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Vin365 macrumors regular

Picking up my iPhone 5 from Apple Store later today, I used another family members line to upgrade, and would like to swap. I've been reading the forums and have seen many people having problems with the upgrade swap. Can Apple do it in the store or do I have to keep the phone off till I get to ATT? Also will I need the other members phone as well? I just don't want to do anything wrong and cause my family members line to be deactivated, etc.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

There is a thread that provides specific instructions on how to perform the upgrade swap. Do a quick search and it should come up.

3. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

I saw that thread about calling the number? But isn't that useless for my situation since Apple requires you to activate it in store before letting you buy it?

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Call Apple and ask them what they will do in your situation.

5. Squeak825 macrumors regular

Just came back from doing the exact same thing. I convinced the Apple employee to not turn on the phone, but even just having to sign out the phone activated it. :(

I was able to immediately go to the AT&T store, and they swapped the lines around, but it did kill the SIM of the phone that I used as an upgrade line. They gave me a new SIM, but that phone is dead until I can get the SIM to them.

6. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

Damn. guess I'll head to the ATT store with both phones after the Apple store.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

have the apple employee call ATT internal number they have. (before turning it on)
    there they can give the ATT employee the sim # and they can tie ti to the right number and avoid activating it on the line that you do not want

8. jhilgendorf macrumors newbie

I tried to do this exact thing last week at my local Apple Store and the 'genius' screwed things up mightily. I knew exactly what I had to do from reading this forum, but he took a high and mighty attitude and ended up getting my mom's phone deactivated.

I had even called AT&T ahead of time to make sure everything was lined up and her phone would not be deactivated. But the "genius" refused to follow my instructions and as a result my mom's phone was deactivated. In addition, he set my phone up as an iPhone 4s so I was not even able to access the LTE network here in Chicago. He also set my mom's phone up as an iPhone 5 (she doesn't even have a smart phone).

I immediately went to the AT&T store after leaving the Apple Store and they were able to fix almost everything. Of course, my mom had to drive to an AT&T store to get a new SIM.

All in all, I am not happy with my Apple Store experience one bit.