Upgrade Swap help!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr jnvii, Mar 4, 2012.

1. mr jnvii macrumors member

So, my dad has a blackberry (att) and has a blackberry data plan (enterprise) and he can upgrade his line, but I can't. So, I'm taking his upgrade to get an iPhone 4S.

However, the Apple rep said he can't do it because it would mess up my dads plan. How so?

Can't he just buy the phone, extend his contract 2 years, and activate the phone under my number while giving me a data plane ? ( I have a LG dumb phone now).

I don't understand what the problem is? Why would his plan be affected?

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Just go to an AT&T store and have this done. They can give him the upgrade and then switch the numbers on the two phones.

I'm not sure but maybe it's possible that Apple can't do this and you have to go to your individual carrier.

3. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

How old is your father's phone plan? Some really old phone plans don't accomodate smart phones. For example, my sister got her 4S in January, but the family plan she was on did not accomodate a data plan for sufficient for smartphones. IIRC, the plan last ceased to exist in like 2004. My parents had to sign a different contract for her upgrade, which adjusted for her smartphone.

4. mr jnvii thread starter macrumors member

1 year lol. I think it has to do with the Blackberry data plan. The Apple rep was like "You have to get a new data plan and that will ruin his Blackberry one". But I don't get it. Why would he even have to do that? Just get the phone, extend the contract, and modify MY line to fit the iPhone and activate on MY line.

Why would anything on my dads plan be changed?

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Don't you think ATT would be a better place to go for this information as NONE of us can give you the correct answer as non of us are sitting on ATT's computer with your fathers account info displayed?

Work smarter not harder.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Lies. Go to the AT&T store and speak to someone with a clue. I've swapped an upgrade before. It definitely can be done.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Unless it's something simple like just yourself getting an iPhone, or adding a line to your account, always go to the carrier to make the purchase. It's much easier that way.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Apple rep's are good with Apple products. When it comes to carrier services, you're better off going to the carrier itself for questions like yours.