upgrade swap nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ardew, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ardew macrumors newbie

I was happy to read that most were successful doing the att swap over the phone rather than going to an actual store.

my senario:

i took an upgrade from my fathers line (not on the same account) purchased from apple.com. I made sure I read all the threads about properly doing the swap, didn't turn the phone on until att told me to do so. I noticed on activation my fathers number came up so at that point I just stopped. ATT already changed my sim and imei to my number/account so they see me with an I5. Problem now is the phone is not activated and is looking to activate with my dad's number.

After some research, seems purchases from apple need the phone activated with the original upgrade number for security purposes. I confirmed that this morning by getting a new sim from att and it still shows my father's number.
    That's fine ill see my father tomorrow, go to att and do the sim swaps.

The problem now is that when att "switched" the sim/imei to my line I most likely will have problems activating even if I do it under his line.
    They're telling me that I have to somehow activate a new nano sim with my fathers line, pop that sim into the I5 and try to activate that way.

Has anyone done this?
    If I call apple can they fix this?
    Next time I'm making all purchases through att.

2. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

I don't know why apple/AT&T make everything so difficult. I upgraded my moms line, also not on my personal account. I had him "park" it on my moms account to accept the upgrade and that tied the sim in the phone to her account but did not activate it. I then had them give me a nano sim for my own number on my account. The rep at th store gave me the same talk, go home call AT&T and have them do the switch before putting my sim in blah blah blah. I went home popped my sim in connected to wifi and set it up. Worked fine. Didn't have to call ANYONE. Not to mention it DID NOT erase my moms sim card from her dumb phone.

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I think your problem arose when you stopped the activation on iTunes. It has been reported that the old number will show up until the activation completes.

If they had your new imei, and sim- there is no reason the other line would activate as far as I understand.

4. ardew thread starter macrumors newbie

i was doing this late last night and didnt want to screw up my fathers line.
    i should have had them "park" it.

yes i was reading about activating anyway, but I really couldn't take the chance screwing up my dad's phone.

So now i have a new nano sim and a new mini sim for his iphone 4.
    I'll have to wait till I see him tonight.

How should I do this?

5. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

I didn't even use iTunes. The phone is "parkd" on his account right now (sim is registered to his account but not activated). Is the new nano sim you have tied to your account? And why did you get a micro sim for his iPhone 4?

6. ardew thread starter macrumors newbie

the new nano sim is not registered to anyone yet.
    so you're saying the phone is "parked" on my dad's account?

my dad has an iphone 4 now.
    att told me ill need a new micro sim for him because once I activate the phone on his account it will deactivate his current sim on his phone.

is he wrong?

7. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

This is why I strictly order from ATT and tell them exactly what I am doing when I order. They don't care and they make all the necessary changes there on the spot to make sure the number that was used to upgrade isnt affected.

8. ardew thread starter macrumors newbie

i know now.
    what a pain in the a...

9. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

All you nee to do is get the nano sim in your hand(not the one in the phone) tied to your account. Once your nano sim is activated your old sim in whatever your old phone was will stop working. Turn th iPhone 5 off, pop out the old nano sim, pop yours in and turn it back on. Then go through the activation process. Done. Then your dad won't need a new sim because his current sim/phone combo won't stop working.

10. MSampson macrumors member

you can do it over the phone. Without turning on the phone the ATT person moves IMEI and SIM #'s to your line. When your phone has been deactivated then you turn on the ip5. It WILL have your father's number. Ignore that! Proceed anyway. It will activate fine. Your father's number will not even hiccup. There is a 10-12 page thread about this. Many people have confirmed that the original upgrade number shows up.
    It worked fine for me last night although I had to hold the ATT reps hand and insist that she follow the steps I dictated rather than the outdated ones she had.

Caveat: My husband had an iP4 and I had and iP4S. The day before the iP5 came I switched sims between those two and restored the iP4S with his back up and the iP4 with mine. If you are not moving your father's phone at all it should be fine. If you are moving it you'll need his SIM if it's compatible or a new one if it's not.

11. ardew thread starter macrumors newbie

i will try, hoping it's that easy.
    att guy said once they tried to manually move the sim/imei to my account it "locked" the activation process cause it's now tied to my account.

does that make sense?

12. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Be cautious when doing things over the phone with AT&T. As you may know they are not very bright and could very well screw up your situation. The fool proof way would be to just get your extra nano sim activated on your phone number and switch.

----------

It shouldn't matter. Just like the AT&T guy said I HAD to call in for me to activate it on my number. All I had to do was a sim switch. Not a single problem.

13. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

The only thing you have to do is enter your fathers last 4 of social and billing zip when you get to att. Once you do that, the phone will activate on atts network. It doesnt matter what sim is in the phone when you enter your fathers information. ATT will just reprogram the sim in the phone to your number, or give you a new nano sim all together. Note though, that your fathers line will activate on your iphone 5 once you enter his info. His phone will not work until they give him a new sim.

14. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

should not be a nightmare.. mine displayed my girlfriends number after i spoke to att on the phone and activated to my line.. it's just pre-programmed into the phone Once I turned it on and type in the needed social and zip code it activated to my line just fine. I was a little worried when i saw her number and just asked the rep who said ti was normal and to continue.

15. ardew thread starter macrumors newbie

interesting.
    i didnt see anyone confirm this.
    ill try it.

----------

thanks all for the replies.

16. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

not a problem. Well just did for ya.. had the rep on the phone and asked him if he was sure about ten times. HA.

17. ardew thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i was able to activate with my dad's number.
    his phone still works.

im callling att now to swap the sim/imei, but i also go an email from apple saying there's a prob activating.

this is gonna be a long day.